Scissor beak tips?

chicken4prez

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jun 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, I have a rooster with scissor beak and I've noticed that he's starting to struggle with eating and grooming himself. I've been mushing up his food and making sure he has an egg to eat every few days for nutrition but his lice problems are getting worse. I've been putting some DE on him but it's not working too well. I would like to help him as much as possible since he is a very sweet and friendly guy. I've read a bit on giving them regular baths and how nipple waterers are helpful but I'd like to hear some more advice from people who have had experience. :)

Thank you!

Hi all, I have a rooster with scissor beak and I've noticed that he's starting to struggle with eating and grooming himself. I've been mushing up his food and making sure he has an egg to eat every few days for nutrition but his lice problems are getting worse. I've been putting some DE on him but it's not working too well. I would like to help him as much as possible since he is a very sweet and friendly guy. I've read a bit on giving them regular baths and how nipple waterers are helpful but I'd like to hear some more advice from people who have had experience. :)

Thank you!

Can you post some photos?
How old is your rooster?

DE is not an effective treatment for lice. Treat him with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust every 7 days for a few weeks. Clean out your housing and treat it as well (every 7 days).

I'm not sure if a nipple waterer would be a good idea for a chicken with scissor beak, try a deep bowl where he can dip his beak. Food should be in a deeper dish as well so hopefully he can scoop the food up.
A lot really depends on the severity of the deformity. Sometimes even with providing extra care, these birds can fail to thrive.

Here's some tips on caring for a chicken with scissor beak:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it/

Look for permethrin based products in your feed store:

upload_2019-8-18_14-56-5.png
upload_2019-8-18_14-56-12.png
upload_2019-8-18_14-56-20.png

What I have found, is that when they are little, they can eat enough to support the body with the deformity. But as the bird grows in size, the nutrition requirements grow too. The difficulty in eating prevents the bird from getting enough nutrition and they fail to thrive, basically starving to death. Generally the rest of the flock will often times be mean to this bird too.

I would put him down if this is a severe deformity.

If he has lice, that too, can make him weaker. Get real parasite control, DE won't work.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom