Scissor Beak

Katiekelley2371

In the Brooder
May 15, 2020
One of our 5 baby chicks, our silkie, has scissor beak. He will be 2 weeks old on Sunday and we noticed his beak about 3 days ago and it has only gotten worse. Is there anything we can do to get rid of it while he is young, or is there any treatment to lessen the cross? :( picture is from Wednesday and it has gotten worse since then! He is the largest of the babies and he has such a great personality so I want to make life as easy as possible for him!
850A897A-1EE6-40A0-A36B-7E02E73EB8C1.png

2x @oldhenlikesdogs
Is it eating/drinking? You may want to wet it's feed, making a mash, maybe easier for it to eat. It's a "special needs" chick, where was it acquired from ... Breeder? Feed Store? Hatching eggs? You may want to contact where you got it from
We got him from a breeder and I did look at the parents and I didn’t notice a crossbeak. He said that all of this eggs were incubated so maybe that could have been the issue. I have been making him a mash but still offering dry food. I am worried he is not getting enough water but he does try and drink.

One of our 5 baby chicks, our silkie, has scissor beak. He will be 2 weeks old on Sunday and we noticed his beak about 3 days ago and it has only gotten worse. Is there anything we can do to get rid of it while he is young, or is there any treatment to lessen the cross? :( picture is from Wednesday and it has gotten worse since then! He is the largest of the babies and he has such a great personality so I want to make life as easy as possible for him!

I feel your pain and desperation to help the little guy. I am going through the same thing with my call duckling. He's 10 days old now, but he hatched out with a severe cross bill. It's gets more crooked every day which really worries me because I don't want it to get so bad that it causes him pain or make it even more difficult to eat. I can't even bear the thought of him being in pain. He is the sweetest little thing and I love him dearly. Someone on my thread did reply talking about their Colombian Wyandotte that lived a full life with a severe scissor beak so there is definitely hope! They even said he ended up being king of the coop!! Maybe you could reach out to them and see what advice they may have? I will keep tabs on this thread and hopefully both of our babies will thrive and live a long and happy life! Best of luck to you! I would love to keep in touch to see how your little guy is doing and I'm here to help in anyway that I can! Here's my thread about my dear little duckling, Jimmy.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/call-duckling-with-deformed-bill-help-need-advice.1380000/

**Side note** I also have 4 little bantam silkie chicks right now that I hatched from my own flock. They're such a sweet and darling little breed. I love them!

Back
Top Bottom