Scissor beak

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
What should i clip my 4week old d’uccles scissor beak with? I read someone on here saying dog nail clippers.. I feel like those are so harsh for how tiny her and her beak are. I’m just worried about hurting her but she needs it done it’s really bad and she’s struggling to eat now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 7
Dog ones are more heavy duty and have a larger cutting bite. I'd think the cutting surface would get out of alignment on the bird ones.
Are these good? Mine i had for my dogs were for bigger dogs but my mom gave me these they seem better. I read somewhere to cut the beak at 45 degree angle? Is that true or no just straight across? Sorry for all the questions I plan on doing it in a couple hours when my fiancé is home to help so i just want to know exactly what I’m suppose to do so there’s no uncertainty. I’m really nervous about doing it i don’t want to hurt the poor thing i just want to help her. I also have that powder just incase god forbid we hit the quick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I don't understand your question. You are just trimming the hook on the top and what extends off to the side. Shouldn't be much at 4 weeks but anything to help it pick up feed is good. Take 1/8" off. Admire your work. Check how the beak comes together. Come back Sunday if it needs a touch up. Feeding her a mash helps her scoop up more at a time.

I don't understand your question. You are just trimming the hook on the top and what extends off to the side. Shouldn't be much at 4 weeks but anything to help it pick up feed is good. Take 1/8" off. Admire your work. Check how the beak comes together. Come back Sunday if it needs a touch up. Feeding her a mash helps her scoop up more at a time.
I didn’t really understand it either but someone was saying to hold the clippers so that their beak is cut at an angle as opposed to just clipping it straight across. The top is longer it’s like a hook I’ve noticed since it grew shes having trouble. I read the little bit that u can trim should be a lot lighter then rest of the beak? I’ve been doing the mash for like 2 weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom