Scoop the poop - sand

Hippie SkiSlope

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
Hello chicken lovers! Thanks to this forum, I learned all about the benefits of sand bedding for the coop and it’s been great! However, I admittedly don’t scoop every day and I’m still using a little kitty litter scoop on a fairly large area. It’s not my favorite chore, to say the least. I’ve looked at horse rakes but the tines seem too far apart for chicken poop. There has got to be a solution of a larger scoop with a long handle. Please share your wisdom!

When I first switched to sand I thought about this issue as well. Currently, I just rake the coop out once in a while with a rake (it has bendy tines and they are fairly close together but nothing overly special). Whatever I miss seems to just disappear into the sand. Because of how coarse the sand I use is, I do get some piles but I scoop it with the poop and dump it out in the back. Not very compostable, but it works.

How about a large kitchen strainer? Like the ones they use for steaming things on top of a pot of boiling water... they usually have a long handle.
When we used to do sand, I would physically carry a gallon bucket with me and fill the bucket as I went so I wasn’t walking back and forth. Then I took the bucket and emptied it into the larger garbage can all at the same time. We have since switched to the deep litter method so we don’t have to scoop it every day.

Back
Top Bottom