Score after round 1 - Chickens - 1, Hawk - 0

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenguysmom, Sep 19, 2009.

1. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

We live in semi-ruralness and frequently see hawks or falcons overhead. Ealier this year I chased off a hawk that flew about 2 feet overhead of one of our bantams by clapping my hands, yelling loudly and running at it.

Today, DH and I were outside and a hawk swooped down and tried to snatch a 12 week old white silkie that was only about 8 feet away from me. (Now granted the little white silkie looks like hawk-bait as she seems to stand in the middle of the yard for the better part of the day.) But the hawk tried to snatch her while she was right next to me. For those of you who think that a hawk will not try to take a chicken that is right next to you, think again. And unless you are close enough to it you won't be able to do anything.

I had a piece of rubbermaid/tupperware in my hand because I had just dumped it in the compost pile. I only saw the hawk out of the corner of my eye and then instinct took over. I chunked that tupperware at the hawk and hit it. That got it's attention and gave me a second to start to lung at it which really got it's attention and it let go of the silkie to pay attention to me. The silkie ran under a bush and the hawk flew off.

Just like others have posted. Big old pile of feathers all over the place from the silkie. We put her up and she looks unscathed but shaken. Although I looked for wounds I cannot find any but there are places where the feathers look messed up. Kinda hard to tell with those fuzzy silkies.

All other chickens went on lockdown back to the coop. DH and DD's helped round up everyone.

That silly old hawk came back a minute later and did a flyby on the pen. We were still out and chased it off.

Now I am considering a larger pen. Funny thing is that everyone but the silkie has been free-ranging all week long while I have been at work. What are the chances that we caught the one attack?

If silkies are like fluffy cats, that one only has 8 lives left.

2. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    OMG! Pretty bold of that hawk. I've seen them around our place but I have plenty of bushes and weed cover for my RIR to hide.

Please be careful, I don't know if they would turn on a human or not. Ours doesn't get that close to our property.

EEva

3. Mrs.ChickChick

Mrs.ChickChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    North central Illinois
    WOW! That is one bold hawk. Good think your aim with tupperware is so good! [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tupperware to the rescue! Terrielacy should hear about this, LOL.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Thank the Lord you were out there.

6. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Wow way to go mom!! Great fast acting on your part. Im glad she is okay.

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I just read your post outloud to the DH.

Last winter, he saw a mouse going for the last cookie on the counter. He threw a fun pack of Skittles at it and knocked it clean out! A FUN PACK!

Anywhoo, I was reading your post and it reminded me of that. Gotta love the inginuity of man during those "emergency" situations. [​IMG]

I am very glad your silkie is ok. New name: BirdBait

Your new screenname: Tupperware Ninja? Burping Deathstar?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  8. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    [​IMG] WOW, score one for you! Hopefully that hawk will stay clear away, you probably scared the daylights out of him. Thanks for the laugh, I got such a great mental image of you chucking the Tupperware at it and it looking at you like, "What the heck? [​IMG] " You made my day! [​IMG]

9. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Lucky little fluffball silkie!!!!! I read a while ago that someone on the board had a hawk attack a chicken while he/she was 3 feet away..... Hope the chick gets over the shock quickly.... Good aim, BTW [​IMG]

10. juls

juls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Colorado
    Anytime someone tells you about "normal behavior" for a wild animal - ignore it because the wild animals sure do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by