1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scorpions...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coastaltx, Feb 16, 2010.

1. coastaltx

coastaltx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    Third Coast
    My new homestead will be in in area where 5-6 different types of scorpions are found. One variety being potentially deadly. Has anyone had problems with poultry being stung, or eating scorps? Scorpions are typically nocturnal, but with birds scratching around, you never know what they may find. Also wonder about them making home in the coop. I have thought about spreading DE around, which is very effective, but the stinging critters do serve a purpose in eating other unwanted pests. Ideas?

2. ConchRepublic

ConchRepublic Looking For My Marbles

Jan 22, 2010
    Dunnellon, Fl
    Chickens typically eat scorpions, they peck of the stinger then eat the rest. If you're really worried, you could get a couple guineas and they'll get rid of all the scorpions (and other insects and arachnids) in no time.

3. cube

cube Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Casa Grande, Az
    My chickens eat scorpions all the time...never had any issues with them ever getting stung or hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by