scoundrel squirrels

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pollitaroja, Sep 9, 2012.

1. pollitaroja

pollitaroja Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Tampa, Florida
    Ho to get rid of squirrels The run has a roof with some some rafts, this creatures come in for the free scratch & feed corn and seeds I'm afraid for contagion of some kind. My two big dogs try to catch them to no avail. HELP. And thanks

2. I think there are squirrel traps available. good luck!!

3. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Do a Google search for "squirrel pole". The more snares you use the better. Squirrels will always use the lesser angle of your pole rather that climbing vertically.

Squirrels would chew holes in my pens that other critters would use to gain entry. Then, a mink got in through a squirrel hole I missed. The carnage was horrible!

4. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

A simple and cheap trap that I have used with great success on red squirrels living in my barn is a drowning trap. Fill a 5-gallon bucket just shy of half way with water, sprinkle enough sunflower seeds on top (they float) to cover the water, and get a board about 4 feet long that goes from the floor to the top of the bucket. sprinkle the ground and the board liberally with sunflower seeds. The tree rats start eating the seeds, and just like people with pistachios it's hard to stop. They see the bucket half filled with (they think) seeds and jump in. How long to you think they can tread water......

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    We had terrible problems with them earlier in the year. We began to trap and move them but they soon figured out to stay away from the trap.

Then we shot one. Just one. Someone must have sounded the alarm because they left our chicken feed and tomato's alone after that.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We had a problem once with grey squirrels getting into our pens to go after the food. i was very worried about contagion, and also that they might harm my girls, as i have little bantams. So i put the chickens in the coop and set a humane trap in the run with peanuts inside. Caught the first one very quickly. i was determined to drown it, but then just couldn't bring myself to do that. So i drove it a ways away, across several busy intersections, to a park and released it. Just had to do this one more time with the next squirrel i caught, and that seemed to do the trick. They were the only ones who were causing the problems and i haven't had it happen again.

7. SuperChix

SuperChix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Harmony NC
    [​IMG] Last time a squirrel got into my Wyandotte's area....I had to let the poor thing out...they ganged up on him, needless to say, he didn't do it again.....I know it can be a problem with the little chickys...We squirrel proofed with two layers of wire...and left no holes for them to creep in..

8. Nathan Sampson

Nathan Sampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Whitewater Mo
    I might not have to much of a bother with squirrels if they get in my stuff I will shoot it and fry his little butt up served with a side of gravy.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Snare or shoot.Good free meat for anyone...human or animal.

10. SuperChix

SuperChix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Harmony NC
    I favor squirrel pie.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by