'scovie hatch went dissapointingly :'(

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
basically I don't think i'll have any, I have the four remaining eggs in the bator now, in hopes they'll hatch.

everything had gone good for the first 2 weeks of Rosilees brooding, then I guess the stupid Gander had gotten into where she was setting and chased her off, and rooted around in her nest,and knocked away alot of hay, I hadn't noticed for about a week or so, cause I left her completly alone, well when I was doing hay rounds, I noticed that she had abunch of eggs sticking out from under her, so I emediatly gave her lots more hay, I had guessed the eggs would slower now.

yesterday was the 35th day, no babies, this morning, no babies. this afternoon, no babies, then she left the nest, didn't go back for about 2 hours, so I started pulling cold eggs, 13 of them. EVERY single one, but 4 smelled aweful!

I put the iffy eggs in the bator, and opened the rest, 3 didn't have anything in them, 2 had little buffish/yellow babies two different sizes,the rest had black babies with white bellies and tails,all different sizes, and two of those looked like they'd have hatched in a few days to a week.

so I'm really really hoping the last four eggs hatch.

I've always heard muscovies were hard to hatch, is that true?, I see all these people with new muscovy babies.

this was probly her first time brooding, would that have something to do with it?

Yes muscovy are hard for humans to hatch, the ducks themselves usually do a better job. It was her first time. If nothing hatches don't be surprised if she starts a new nest in short order. Three cluches per summer are usual if she isn't distracted by mothering ducklings. Good luck

Quote:
Shelley, could it be that the humidity in the bator was too low? I know some who keep it at 65 from the beginning, then do the usual 'jack up' at the end.

Just wondering what your humidity might have been when inc-ing scovy eggs. I've got some in bator now--doing well--but now I'm dreading them dying off............

Ducklove334, Sorry your hatch didn't go well.
Do you only have the one duck/hen for your drake? If so, you may need to keep him away while she is brooding or make her a place to nest where he can't reach her. I have 1 drake and 4 ducks but I noticed while they were brooding our drake would come in and bug them, hissing and biting their necks to get them to come off the nest so he could breed them. If your ducks aren't all brooding at the same time it does help. I had to go in a few times and tell Duke whatfor and hustle him out of the shed.
lol.png
2 of my girls opted for nest sites up and out of his way so he couldn't hassle them.

I only have 2 muscovies, a hen and drake.

Squeaks was really good about not bothering Rosilee most of the time, and spent time harassing the other drakes, he actually would sit at the entrance to the nest box, and keep the other ducks away, even the geese(he's oly about 7 months old, and nearly as big as my african gander, I tryed to pick his hefty butt up once, and OMG!). I did noticed that while Rosilee was broody she got two fleshy looking lumps on each side of her beak, they didn't effect her eating, and didn't look painful, one went completely away after about 2 weeks, the other stayed but is much smaller, and is disapearing now, not sure if that has anything to do with might have happened, but just thought I'd throw it out.

I'm going to candle the four remaining eggs tonight, they're in the bator, to see if I see ANY movement at all.

Quote:
Shelley, could it be that the humidity in the bator was too low? I know some who keep it at 65 from the beginning, then do the usual 'jack up' at the end.

Just wondering what your humidity might have been when inc-ing scovy eggs. I've got some in bator now--doing well--but now I'm dreading them dying off............

Well, I have other species in there as well that take 'higher' humidity, so it's never below 50%. This time, I think that's what it was for the most part. The last time I know I kept it around 65%, cause all I had in there then was waterfowl, so it was safe to do so. If I had known how hard they were to hatch I wouldn't have bothered.

I have been hatching Muscovies and havent had a real hard time of it. 3 rounds of egs, after taking out the 2 week faders I have been averaging 4 to 6 ducklings per hatch in a bator. doesnt sound like a lot out of 12 eggs but that seems to be my average.

I keep a wet hand cloth in there along with the water in the troths and it keeps the humidity high enough.
The only hatch I have had real problems with is this last hatch, chicks hatching out 1 a day for 4 days, hard to tear membranes, just a very strange hatch.
when the first 2 hatched out they came out of the shell rather normally but the last 2 were almost stuck in the shell, weak chicks at first, I put the dry chicks in with some of the younger self blue OEGB's and they perked up.
The only difference I found in the 4 chicks is the last 2 hatched are crested muscovie. they are cute with their little top knot but it was a bear to hatch them out.
I am not sure if it was the crested gene at work or if they were late in being layed or what the difference was.

Back
Top Bottom