Scraggly Looking Crow

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowergirl60, Aug 19, 2011.

1. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Is there no end to chicken worries. I have this sick looking crow visiting my backyard everyday and I catch him going into the chicken coop I scare him off b/c he is always alone and looks like he has been beat up. I am thinking he may spread some disease to my birds or mites I've heard wild birds can do. I like crows b/c they chase hawks. But this one is different. What is a chicken mom to do?

2. afeatherfan

afeatherfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    wv
    The other crows are trying to run him off.. I had one like that but he was so beet up I had to shoot him.
    I havent see him but he is probably ok. Just hungry.[​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Shoot it. Disinfect the ground where you shot it, bury the bird deep in the ground or burn it.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Is there a wildlife rescue group in your area? Perhaps they would want to take him in.

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Thanks for the replies. I can't shoot it b/c I don't own a gun and since I live right in the city with neighbors close by I would probably get reported. I'll look into the animal rescue if I can catch the darn thing.

6. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    leave some feed out for him far as far away from your coop as possible so he wont go near your hens but it gives him a chance at life too

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i was just wondering, might this be a baby? The baby crows are pretty big, almost as big as a regular crow, but they will look scraggly.

The other option is to post for help from a rescue group on craigslist. There are some kind hearted folk out there that may take him on as a project, if a wildlife rescue group won't.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by