Scrambled eggs... how shall I prepare it for my chooks? :P

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Poliwag, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I read that scrambled eggs is good for chooks... seems a bit odd to me o.o
    How should I prepare it? Just scramble the eggs and nothing else?

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I just spray a little non-stick in the pan and fry the scrambled eggs. No seasoning or anything. I've read here where some put the whole eggs in the blender, then fry them shells and all.

Marty

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    You can scramble them just like you would for you, or add yummy stuff like cheese, tomatoes, veggies, etc...

4. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Hello,
    You can also scramble eggs in a microwave oven without oils and things. You have to stop them about halfway through a two minute cycle and stir them up.

Mary

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:You beat me to it. That's how I scramble them.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I just scramble them in some butter. No salt or anything.
    Although I don't guess peppers would hurt them any - I just reserve them for myself! [​IMG]

7. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    I love making omlets for my chickens on a cold morning. I throw in all kinds of odds and ends. My kids think it's so gross, but not if your a chicken.
    Great idea for blendering shells and all first! I never would have thought of that! Love it!

8. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Thank you all for all the info. I did end up making some with cut up tomatos but I don't think they liked it as much as I thought. Oh well, maybe they will like it next time [​IMG]

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The only thing I do is to cook them hard. If I happen to be frying eggs I'll do them in a pan. Otherwise I just do them in the micro-wave. They're not particular. I just cook them hard so as to make less of a mess in the brooder.

If I'm cooking them specifically for the dog or the birds I like to mix in some milled or rolled grains like corn meal and rolled oats.

.....Alan.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Scrambling the eggs in the blender with the shells is a good way to feed them back to your layers so they benefit from the extra calcium. Plus it's fun to watch them as they blend. We just drop the whole egg in the blender and let the machine do all the work. I don't think you need to do anything special, maybe limit the oil or butter, maybe avoid using artificial ingredients. You can add all sorts of goodies that are beneficial to chickens like red pepper & garlic, toss in wilted veggies or stuff your humans won't eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by