Scratch and Mash now I'm confused

Crest Acres Girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern California
Recently read a post about scratch being hot because of corn, the mash I buy for my chickies have cracked/crushed corn in it?....and its the only feed available for purchase 13 bucks for 50lbs bag...Do I have a problem here?

Also can quails eat the same mash as chickens? or do they need game feed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mash is just another type of feed besides pellets. I think there is some corn in all feed, but the mash/pellets have other nutrients that chooks need for health.

Scratch, on the other hand, is cracked corn and other grains that chooks eat as a snack, usually in colder weather because of the high count of corn, which causes a chook to heat up a bit.

Think candy when you use scratch for your chickens, not too much.
smile.png

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
CORN DOES NOT CAUSE A BIRD TO HEAT UP!!!!!!!

This is an old wives tale.

Jim

Ok I'm an old wife.
smile.png
sorry. Someone needs to change that info then.​

Yeah, corn has lots of sugar and not much nutrition, so it would cause weight gain eventually. Disagree? Look around a school yard some day and see what feeding processed corn to our kids has done for them!

It is believed that corn causes the bird to produce more energy to process it, thus creating more body heat. It is typically recommended as a supplemental treat in cold climates and not to be used as a primary feed ration, altho most feeds do contain some corn.

Jody

Yes the corn adds more fat on the birds. The heat up is were people feed more corn for winter. More fat to keep the bird warm.

Thus the" Feed corn to heat up the birds."

Back
Top Bottom