Scratch Feed

Oldguyrealy

Hatching
Feb 8, 2024
Been feeding some soaked Scratch Feed.

Now my Chickens won't eat Laying Mash.

I'm thinking of just feeding Scratch Feed they have some with Black Sunflower Seed will this give them enough protein?

Oldguyrealy

Been feeding some soaked Scratch Feed.

Now my Chickens won't eat Laying Mash.

I'm thinking of just feeding Scratch Feed they have some with Black Sunflower Seed will this give them enough protein?

Oldguyrealy

Read the label to see how much protein is in the scratch you are talking about.

Laying hens should get at least 16% protein, and many people find that their flock does better with 18-20% protein. Most kinds of scratch are much lower than this, but read the label to be sure.

You could try getting some chick starter (usually around 20% protein), and offer that. Chickens often like it better, probably because of the higher protein content. (Chick starter is fine for chickens of all ages, although laying hens do need a separate calcium source like oyster shell. Chickens that are not laying eggs do not need any kind of supplement when they are eating chick starter.)

You can also put layer feed or chick starter in a container and add water. Chickens often like that better than having it dry.

Scratch is not feed, and is actually pretty bad for them in moderateor high amounts.
It's high in fat and carbs, low in meaningful nutrition.
They've gotten spoiled by the junk food, so completely cut out the scratch and feed them a nice layer, grower, flock feed with protein between 17-20%.
No healthy animal will refuse to eat, they'll eat when they're hungry

No it won't. You need to give them some meat, fish, or insects as well. Animal protein is complete (unlike plant). And ideally let them forage to supplement with edibles from your ground. You might find an article I wrote last year useful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

btw, welcome to BYC :frow

Back
Top Bottom