Scratch Grains ???

netty74

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Conway , SC
How important are scratch grains ? I have 8 , 11 week old birds in one coop , and groups of 3 in 3 separate coops . all of the birds have adequate nest box , run and coop space . the floors in the runs are dirt and inside are shavings . The 11 week old birds are being fed grower/finisher and the adult birds are getting layer feed . I also supplement them with Oyster shell and leftover kitchen scraps ( only about once a week ) Do they need scratch grains , if so do i free feed or just give them some on occasion ?? Thanks :) I also throw them some fresh grass every other day .

Scratch is not really needed as long as you are feeding a a good feed. It's more of a treat for the girls but they love it, it does make getting them back in the run when you need to easier tho. Most chickens will follow you anywhere for their scratch.
I use it to train new girls to go into their run if I need to put them up before dark. Once they now what container that you use for scratch they will follow you right back into the run with no herding involved.Scratch is a great treat for your chickens but should never be more than 10% of their diet as it is about 8% protein compared to 16% in most layer feeds.

I agree with what DanEP said. But I also want to say that when I was feeding my hens scratch, they had a high incidence of impacted crop. I think its the corn. I switched to only black oil sunflower seed as a treat, and no one has gotten an impacted crop since.

Great !! That's good to know . I feed them Dumor layer feed , and I mix in some cracked corn as a treat . Thanks for your help !!!

I also only use scratch as a treat and "training tool". I also use it to fill my bird feeders, so I am always on the lookout for the best price. So far, the TSC "Wild Bird Feed" that comes in 35# bags is the best value when it is on sale for $9/bag. I stock up and keep the bags in the tackroom or garage so they store well.

I've found the scratch can vary greatly in price from one store to another, and it is all basically the same product. I won't always go with the cheapest manufacturer on a processed feed, because you can never tell what exactly is in it... but scratch grains are whole grains so you can easily tell *what* is in the bag.

Back
Top Bottom