1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scratch or layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken_angler, Aug 14, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I was told to give my mixed age group a mix of scratch and starter. That way it would use up my extra starter. Then I learned that scratch should only be used as a treat. Should I buy a bag of layer for my chickens or have them on the scratch/ starter mix? Thanks! Any tips will be gladly appreciated! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Once my tweenagers are old enough to integrate into the flock (usually around 14 weeks) they get layer pellets - just like all the other chickens in the flock. I haven't noticed any ill effects from feeding them layer a few weeks earlier than recommended.

I'd mix the starter you have left over with layer and give that to your mixed age flock.

Either way, it's better nutritionally than mixing scratch as a main part of their feed. Scratch is not as nutritionally complete as commercial pellets.

Save the scratch for a special treat once in a while...

3. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Ok. I thought I should ask before I give it to them a main source of food. I am going to buy some layer this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by