1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scratch...With or without laying feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Blosing101, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Blosing101

Blosing101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    What is the best way to give my chickens their scratch? Mix it with their laying crumbles, give it free choice, or throw it in their run as a treat and snack? Or all the above lol

2. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    All of the above will work. I like to give it as a snack. I only give it in the winter to help keep them warm.

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes...all of the above.

1 person likes this.
  4. Blosing101

Blosing101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    Thank you Rock Home Isle!!! I am new to raising chickens so this is all a learning process!!!!

5. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Isn't this a fun hobby, though?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

They can use it as an additional energy source, especially when temperature is low. Be careful with this approach when using a typical layer feed as such diets are formulated to provide as little protein as practical when the feed is the only nutritional source without compromising egg production. The problem you can run into is that consuming too much scratch grains can dilute the intake of nutrients the scratch grains are low in (i.e. protein, vitamins, minerals).

7. bigt447

bigt447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I throw my hens a little each day on my sandy soil. They then get some grit along with the high carb snack. I use oats, sunflower seed and song bird seed most often.

8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I do not mix it with feed or give free choice, because chickens will eat the scratch grains before the layers feed. They should eat 90% feed to get the vitamins and minerals added to feed. They don't add supplements to scratch. I give my 5 hens 3/4 cup of 50/50 mix of scratch and layers feed twice a day scattered on the ground. GC

1 person likes this.
  9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Scratch is a treat...Very high in fat. I toss it out as a treat to do a head count while free ranging.

2 people like this.
  10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I would say it is high in energy, with most of the energy in the form of carbohydrates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by