1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kaankboom, Mar 18, 2012.

1. kaankboom

kaankboom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    i just got 8 adult Chickens 4 RIR 2Leghorn 2BR and i was woundering what is a good healthy recipe for scratch

2. Purdy

Purdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Sparta, Michigan
    I mix 50/50 Scratch to egg laying crumbles
    Note the size and weight of of the bags you are buying, some are 40 lbs and others 50 lbs
    I bought some scratch form a farm co-op elevator, and was very unhappy with the mix.
    So I went back to buying brand named scratch from a farm store like tractor supply or family farm and home.
    I also use scratch as treat food, keeping a pail by the back door, and giving the stright scratch a few time a day as the free range.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They need at least 16% protien to lay really well. If you're just using scratch or 50/50 scratch and layer, they aren't getting enough unless they have a lot of bugs to eat too.

"Scratch" is not chicken food, it's meant as a sort of treat to give them something to scratch around for. Many do cut the real chicken food with it and it has it's uses that way. Just buying layer food would be better than mixing your own at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by