Scratch

Today's birds just aren't what our Grandparent's birds were. I'll bet his hens weren't expected to churn out an egg every day starting at 5 months and lay for over a year straight. That's fully expected of today's production birds, and they need the nutritional support to meet that breeding. Really, my 20% all-in-one is $2 more per 50lb bag than cracked corn. Just feed the balanced feed, for heaven's sake. You're not going to find a cheaper way to make sure they have the nutritional support they need. By all means, supplement with produce, kitchen scraps, things like that....I'm all for that and believe a varied diet is important. But have the balanced feed available.

I feed my 16 girls an 1 roo 16%layer an cracked corn ,2scoops layer with 1 scoop corn , mixed an in the feeder in the coop an water gets mother vinegar 1/2 tbl. spoon to gallon of water daily , plus table/kitchen scrapes , an when old bread is around they get that as a treat,I also get a slop bucket from my 3 Boys each week an from the Deli here in Willow lots of greens so all in all they get a rounded diet.There "barn yard friends" the breeding pair of hogs ,get the same pig chow with cracked corn alfala pellets slop an the same dose of mother vinegar,I do soak the feed over night for the hogs they like that very much.

My hens won't touch the layer feed now that spring has come. So by the chickens choice they eat scratch (boss,oats,barley,wheat,&corn) and what ever they find on the one acre they get to free range on.Im getting 6 eggs a week from each hen (barred rock,&2 easter eggers) and no layer feed, they haven't touched it in weeks. I cleaned the feeder and put fresh layer feed in and they still didn't touch it.

If you are giving them chicken crack they will fill up on that and not eat the feed. Take away the scratch to get them to eat their regular feed again. At the very least you need to take the corn out of their regular diet. It is starting to get warmer and the extra fat that the corn puts on can be too much depending on your summer heat. Corn should be used both as a treat and to fatten up the bird for either winter or the pot. The boss and oats are great for a summer treat.

Most feeds main ingredient is corn. Also the handful of scratch they get isn't filling them up its the grass,bugs,and seeds that they find on the one acre grass field they free range on. My point was that if given a choice they would rather find their own food over feed. If you can't or don't free range, then feed is needed for a balanced diet that can't be found in grains alone.

Most feeds main ingredient is corn. Also the handful of scratch they get isn't filling them up its the grass,bugs,and seeds that they find on the one acre grass field they free range on. My point was that if given a choice they would rather find their own food over feed. If you can't or don't free range, then feed is needed for a balanced diet that can't be found in grains alone.

I see your point if they just need a little of certain grains why eat that and more of what they don't want or need to get what they do. it's like telling a kid they must eat their desert first and then more veggies if they just want a little more carrots or peas and no dessert...

Back
Top Bottom