Scratching space for our birds.

Andy-K2

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Bristol United Kingdom
Hi all and thanks for having me, my first post so please forgive me if this has been covered a 1000 times previously.

My wife and I have inherited and allotment with 8 pretty big chickens on it. The covered space they have is around 30x15 feet with their coops inside that. My wife feels they need a bit of outdoor running space "where they can play" (her words not mine :))... Ok, not knowing much about these birds other than the feed/water requirements, nor do I know the breed, but if you'll let me I will post a picture for help on that later.... and finally my question :) For a run, how high does it need to be to restrict their wondering, I was thinking waist high, will this be ok?. the size now will be 30' wide, 12' deep which will be grass, they will not be left unattended as being an allotment we visit every day to potter so no need for cover, the birds will be let out whilst we are there. In the area of the UK I live in, I have no predators to speak of other than foxes, but the birds are will protected for night time visitors.

Any advice would be helpful, and thanks again for having me.

Hi Andy, welcome to BYC
smile.png

The height depends on the type of birds you have. Waist high would contain some of the less active and more placid breeds. Some breeds, however, need a covered run to keep them contained. As a general guideline I would probable make any permanent fence at least 4' high, and 5 or 6 would be even better. There is also woven electrified fence available that can be moved around if you want a less permanent solution.

If you build an enclosure that has a cover/roof, be sure it's tall enough for you to walk in. Crawling through poo to retrieve an egg or wayward chicken is no fun :p

You could clip their wings. I would still go another foot on the fence. Or cover the area with netting.

Hi 1Muttsfan. Thank you for your repy.

4' sounds ideal, that will work out brilliantly for the wood and netting I have stored. It will be a permanent fixture but will be made so I can remove it without too much damage to the land.

Hi, Chickenmamm, again thank you for your time to post. No need for the covers as they have a very large "safe" area which they spend the day and night which is made of steel heavy gauge fencing and is about 9 feet tall 30feet long and 15 feet wide with a steel wired roof. This idea is more of a "play area" for them. My wife has stamped her feet to ensure I build this area for her/them.. :)

npontnack... Thanks again.... Decent idea, never thought of doing that. Im sure she will let me do that to the birds.

Looks like I will try a 4' high surround, and I suppose I can always add height if required....

Thank you all and warmest regards.
Andy

Back
Top Bottom