Scrawny hen

Scratch is high in calories and will help with fattening her up. Many here don't suggest you feed scratch.I feed it every day year round. Three of my leg horns have laid all year. I had a WLH that had a hard molt. She's better now. I was feeding her separately to make sure she was getting enough. Those Leg Horns eat a lot. Their crops are FULL at night. They can hardly balance on the roosts. They almost topple over head first. My leg horns tend to eat late in the day for some reason.
Your poor birds.

Not trying to be rude. But get that bird out of the nest box. Nest boxes are for laying eggs, You will be glad you did when a bird poops all night in the box and you have to wash and pickup poopy eggs. BTW the poop is always on the bottom where you can't see it. LOL.

What you do is go out before total darkness. and put any bird that is on the roost up on the roost in the same place every night. And if they get down put them back up. And if they get down again put them back up. Every night same spot. Might take a week might take 2 days. Chickens are creatures of habit. They will get the hint. You will win don't let them win. You'll be glad when they all get up every night.and you don't have to do this every night in the freezing cold winter. I even move mine still when they decide they want a new spot. Every night same spot. You can do it.
I was figuring on just putting a door on the nestbox and shutting her out when i go lock up. I've been tolerating it because she was cold and hasnt pooped in it. I'll check on that poops on the bottom thing. She's feathered out again. The nest box is up, not down.

Back
Top Bottom