cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Buff Orpington hen named Marshy and she is a little over 2 years old.
Today I noticed that she was puffing up and screaming! It's like the very beginning of a crow. "CAAAAAAAAAAAH". - like that.
She has done it multiple times today. I just went outside a couple minutes ago and she yelled at me. And she did it to my cat earlier. Can anyone tell me what is going on? I'll try to get a video clip later.

- Jessa

P.S. I've had her for over 2 years and she lays eggs and I'm positive she isn't a rooster.

She might be going broody. I also have one more question, are you wearing animal print? My chicken once screamed because someone wore animal print 😂
I think it sounds most like she’s going broody, but I thought I’d just check incase.

She might be going broody. I also have one more question, are you wearing animal print? My chicken once screamed because someone wore animal print 😂
I think it sounds most like she’s going broody, but I thought I’d just check incase.

Like......an animal print on my shirt or something? If that's what you mean, no, I haven't.

It could be a broody thing. My Buff Orpingtons were known as the screamers. They'd sit in the nesting boxes and scream as soon as you walked in. It's something to do with the nest. How's she doing around the yard...
Have you been having any birds of prey or anything else that could of spooked them lately? She might be trying to protect her flock.
Also, see what she thinks of your bantams. Bring her over to them and see what she does. She might be trying to adopt them. My Buff Brahma Buff Orpington mix Nalla was known for seeing chicks and adopting mother less chicks with never going broody ever. That could be what your dealing with. If she wants to mother them, I'd let her as long as she's good with them. :)

It could be a broody thing. My Buff Orpingtons were known as the screamers. They'd sit in the nesting boxes and scream as soon as you walked in. It's something to do with the nest. How's she doing around the yard...
Have you been having any birds of prey or anything else that could of spooked them lately? She might be trying to protect her flock.
Also, see what she thinks of your bantams. Bring her over to them and see what she does. She might be trying to adopt them. My Buff Brahma Buff Orpington mix Nalla was known for seeing chicks and adopting mother less chicks with never going broody ever. That could be what your dealing with. If she wants to mother them, I'd let her as long as she's good with them. :)

Well, I've never seen her do it in the nesting boxes. It's just random, or when someone walks by.

I don't think anything has spooked them lately.

okay.....I'll try. But she's never seen the bantams before (except like 1, once) so could she still be trying to be a momma?

Well, I've never seen her do it in the nesting boxes. It's just random, or when someone walks by.
Hmm. I had a bantam rooster the same way. Are you running around? Chester always screamed when I ran across the yard. Are you doing anything different? Have you done anything that has gotten her mad at you? Have you done a health check since this has all started?
I don't think anything has spooked them lately.
Ok. Birds of prey have been on the move lately along with other migrating birds, but it is starting to get a little late in the year for that. Maybe a passer byer spooked her and you didn't see it?
okay.....I'll try. But she's never seen the bantams before (except like 1, once) so could she still be trying to be a momma?
Can she hear them? They could be triggering some instinct in her. You don't need to put her in their run unless she shows signs of wanting them. I know if I was her, I'd be wanting them. :love :love :love

Back
Top Bottom