Screaming Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedOkra, Sep 15, 2011.

1. RedOkra

RedOkra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    I have a wyandotte hen who has started this new thing just over the last couple of days - Its only when shes in the coop (and not ever on the nest), and if I go into the coop she lets out this awful, very long, high-pitched screeeeam. She looks like a dinosaur. I'm guessing this is just a little warning for me, but its new behavior so I'm just wondering if I should be worried?

P.s. For everyone who helped me identify my disgruntled BR as broody: She's now on day 13 sitting on her first nest of 5 eggs. I've candled three times and all five eggs are fertile with healthy embryos! Thanks guys!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My guess would be she's demanding a treat. My Wyandottes were pushy girls.

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Sounds like a treat demand as well. I have a RIR that runs up to me with a long, totally obnoxious, scream. Sounds nothing like I would expect a chicken to sound.

She gets no treats for it either.

4. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Sounds to me like she's in the beginning 'broody' stages. Next stage is she'll bok, bok, bok, to herself for about a week, then she'll start plunking her fluffy butt down, and won't get up. Just my thought! One of my hens screamed before becoming broody.

5. RedOkra

RedOkra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Hah! That would not surprise me actually. I have a big garden and they've been given treats all summer long but as the season winds down, I dont have as many to give them. And given that shes one of the only hens that has a name (because initially, many of them were going to be for eating, though of course.... that never happened!), she's probably on the spoiled side [​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I had a head hen GLW that screamed when I introduced new pullets.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by