screaming rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Oct 27, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ive just been given a young cockeral...from may this year. he's an appenzellerspitskuif x barnvelder (the guy says,i see the AS bits but not the barnvelder side!)

but the darn thing wont shut up! since he's been here (5 hours ago) he has screamed and screamed and screamed. its not crowing,or clucking its a full on screaming noise!! (arrrrrgh, argggggghh, arrrrrrrgh, arggggggghhhh, like someone being stabbed over and over)

im guessing this is not normal?? he was quiet until i tookhim out of the box, now he just wont stop. i even tried putting him backin the box to calm him but no good

my poor ears [​IMG](

2. endicott83

endicott83 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    maybe he will calm down once her gets used to the place? I had a Hen do that (not crow of course) but was very lound until she got used to the place?

Keep us updated.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:i hope so.......thank god i have no neighbours.....!

4. WonderChicken

WonderChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    Maybe he is looking/screaming for his former flock?

5. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    neds a big cuddle

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe that's why the guy gave him to you. Beware of guys bearing free chickens.

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    well 'Luigi' stopped as dark approached last night..........this morning he was still until he saw someone and he started again!!! seems to be everytime he see's someone he screams at them!! roll on end of quarantine when he can go outside, my other half is not so impressed with having a screaming roo in the house. 3 weeks...6days to go *sigh*

8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have a young Silkie rooster and when he first started "crowing", it wasn't crowing at all, but sounded like a woman screaming in a bad horror movie! It absolutely freaked me out for the first couple of times because I would hear it from bed while it was still dark and didn't realize it was the rooster. It gradually evolved into a real crow, but no one had warned me he might start out screaming.

9. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    THANK YOU!! LOL! I totally freaked the first time I heard the scream ( I was busy cat proofing the run. The neighbor's cats are everywhere!). I heard the death scream, and was sure someone was dead! I just laughed this morning. I am confused about one thing; A full week ago someone crowed a perfect crow. He has not done it since. It is possible the same one is now the screamer. Either way, why no more strong crows, and what is taking the others so long? I know I have three roosters. I suspect up to five, but REALLY hope not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by