Screeching Female Duck

donaquijote

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2012
San Francisco
I have two female Pekin ducks and one has started quacking loudly, almost a screech, that is threatening to drive my husband and my neighbors bonkers! I live right in the center of San Francisco and while one is very quiet, the other is a screecher! What can I do to stop this? I feed them lettuce and tomatoes and Bar-Ale duck food and add Purina wild duck pellets three times a day. But when this duck is hungry she screams for more food. I have had pet ducks all my life and have never had this problem before. HELP! Please suggest what I can do before I ring her neck!
Thank you for any help you can offer. I am desperate!

Sorry you have this issue. Some ducks are very noisy. My son has a very noisy pekin girl. She shouts all day and wakes up at 3am and shouts then too. Your other duck may be quiet because she doesn't need to shout. My son has an almost silent female duck, who is best buddy to the very noisy little duck. When my son's drake came to stay with my flock for some months, the silent duck took over his leadership role. And she acquired a voice! But three months later, when the drake came back, she gave up being boss duck, and went back to being silent.

I am sorry, but I dont think there is any way to silence your girl. Can you rehome her with someone living in a more rural area outside the city?

My ducks learned quickly that when my husband comes home from work they will get their frozen peas. They started quacking loudly as soon as they heard his truck coming down the driveway and wouldn't stop until the peas were given.
I'm not sure how to stop it but perhaps a change in routine might help? You know, keep them guessing?

Is she new to you or is this a sudden problem after having her for a while?
Any signs that she's going broody? Increased focalization is often a broody duck thing.

Back
Top Bottom