Scrumbly-shelled egg

I have to apologize. I just now saw the wrinkled or corrugated egg shell picture. That is very common with infectious bronchitis, although it can be caused by other problems. I had that in my flock in the early years. I only saw one or two like that, but later saw some other odd shells shown in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I would just try to spend time near your coop popping in and out during the morning to see who is laying.
Thanks, @Eggcessive. @cherrynberry posted that link earlier for me. Very informative! If I had a chicken with bronchitis, she would have symptoms like coughing or sneezing and would seem quite sick, wouldn't she? (We've always had a closed flock.) Nobody has acted sick at all except this hen I have in the house that a dog got hold of a week or so ago, and she's actually doing very well.

I'll try to catch this layer in the act. I can't even tell what breed she is, since it's such a pale egg. I'm kinda betting it's an EE. Thanks again.

I have 20 hens, not that many shades of food coloring, lol. But I appreciate the suggestion. First time I heard this it made no sense, but I have since discovered gel food coloring, not the liquid we used when I was a kid. Pretty sure that would be dry by morning!
Yeah, it's a little difficult with 20 hens! 😂 This method is a lot more efficient with only a couple.

Back
Top Bottom