sea gull help

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
I am a first year vet tech so some of you must know much more than me.

This bird was refused by wildlife resuce because they are way too full have too many birds and cannot care for them all. The sea gull has a smashed up wing. I have pictures. is there anything I can do to help this bird??? I don't care if it is a pest or if there are a billion. I just want to know if anyone here has experience with these birds? is there any kind of med to give them?

They are gluttons ultimate survivors rats with wings (that is not an insult either) so i assume they are very hardy can eat anything handle anything are not sensative to much????

Please let me know. I wanted to sling its wing back in place I have a man that is going to help me if it even makes the night. It wont be a pet, i just want it to fly again. I am a student right now i am not made out of money it all went to my allergic dog and sick special needs cat, and house. Plus school. But i want to do what i can and try to get what i can to help? Small pool? Duck house with sun??? away from all other animals and birds of course. I have a huge empty flight pen with a house.

Wow! just saw this. How is he doing now? Thank you for trying to help this bird. I would do the same.

A variety of sea creatures and plants is a gulls main diet. If he is still hanging in there, I would suggest buying him some small live fish. Keep him warm and try not to stress him out any more than you have to. Boiled or scrambled eggs can also be feed. Since he is injured, try to feed only healthy food. Other words...no fries, chips, popcorn, that kinda thing. He will need a bowl of water no less than 3" deep.

Is it possible to carry him to your school? Have you asked your Director about him? He might be willing to let you bring him in and use the setting of his wing as a demonstration session......The wing needs to be set just right or he will not be able to fly again.

Best of luck.

I agree with the above. You can get 100 feeder goldfish from a pet store for cheap, so I'd go with that and maybe eggs. And make sure he's in a place where he's not going to be able to hurt himself MORE while you take care of him. A small environment might be bigger than a large one because of this.

I've never set a bird's wing myself but I am sure there's a video on it out there.

it has no wing the wing was dragging behind it ripped off car ran right over it no one was really attached so it has no wing, But it had been like that for a long time cause there was no blood and it had healed by itself? must have lived off of insects.

I put it in the yard with a kiddie pool. It seems fine it swims and eats like a vulture, anything mostly wet cat food. I keep it away from other animals because wild birds like crows and gulls know it has no wing and want to kill it. Its a first year bird.

THe only thing that can to it is brown rats. But unlike chickens it has the most nasty bill ever. Like a knife I think it is meant for grasping fish so it can cut right into skin or take out eyes with it really easy. IT is very very aggressive. I dont go near it without gloves. It has really strong jaw pressure. But this is not the giant predatory herring gull its the smaller crow sized ring billed gull. It still will eat a mouse. It has a massive throat and can fit huge things down there like a snake.

It eats 10 percent of its body weight a day so i bought it a bunch of canned cat food worms brown bread all sorts of things. I am part of the avian vet tech society. EVeryone wanted to put it down because they are considered pest species since they have ruined other birds like common terns and caspian gulls. They are very over populated and just considered like a starling or pigeon or crow a serious pest that causes damage to other birds. Raids their eggs and steals their food.

Last edited:
I have vetericyn, cortivance, metacam (anti inflamitory) and access to pvt avian vet resources. I am a studying avian vet tech atm.

Cortivance is much better than vetricyn but not sure if it has ever been used on birds. Bird probably does not need it but I was just thinking to make it more comfortable.

I dont know if he will eat goldfish ring billed gulls ignore fish in cali and let the western and herring gulls take them, it might be due to fear, but no matter what they never touch the fish. They are land gulls not sea. They like farm fields for insects.

Last edited:
she will be really good at pest control and good living with small ducks or small chickens in a big barn type area with a small pond i think as long as safe from predators. I am moving in a month to toronto not sure what kind of house i will end up in. So i will see. Wildlife rehab will be forced to put her down or give to research lab donation by the MNR. Maybe someone here has a small hobby farm and loves birds may want her eventually so I will keep looking to find a better place for now shes happy. This is a ring billed gull so it is smaller and is crow sized. I don't know how predatory they are. They are nothing like a herring gull or western gull or black backed gulls. She could live with pigeons also if she had a small pool she could pest control. These gulls cannot kill adult pigeons. Only herring gulls and black backed gulls can.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom