Searching for Ways to Market Roosters

I see someone already suggested a bachelor coop, which is one option.

Another option--depending on how desperate you get--is to eat them yourself. (If you eat chicken anyway, this is a chance to eat chicken that you know lived a happy life first.)
I just couldn't do it. I think I would be fine giving them away or selling them to someone who would eat them, as long as they didn't tell me how they tasted and such.

Sad update on the roosters. I just witnessed two of them almost kill my gamma. He only survived by practically burying himself under my rosebush. I going to have to put one of them down. Three birds just doesn't work in the end. A relative is coming into town and will do the deed. Thank you for all the support though and I will continue to update you on my (hopefully) growing flock.

Sad update on the roosters. I just witnessed two of them almost kill my gamma. He only survived by practically burying himself under my rosebush. I going to have to put one of them down. Three birds just doesn't work in the end. A relative is coming into town and will do the deed. Thank you for all the support though and I will continue to update you on my (hopefully) growing flock.
I'm so sorry :hugs

As I promised, a flock update. I'm getting chicks this spring! I originally wanted six started pullets from Murray McMurray Hatchery (great place so far, very clean and honest), but decided on eight chicks in late spring because shipping was outrageous. I'm really glad that I can raise the chicks by hand and gain their trust, unlike the roosters, who are getting along surprisingly well. They aren't fighting and seem to be happy together. I do need some advice, though. There is a nearby egg farm that has Rhode Island Reds, and I wanted to get a few hens to keep the roosters company while the chicks are growing. The hens are caged, as far as I know, and I'd like to give them a good home. Should I adopt the hens or just wait until the chicks grow up?

There is a nearby egg farm that has Rhode Island Reds, and I wanted to get a few hens to keep the roosters company while the chicks are growing. The hens are caged, as far as I know, and I'd like to give them a good home. Should I adopt the hens or just wait until the chicks grow up?

Personally, I would wait for the chicks. My reasons would be:

If you want the roosters to live peacefully, a few hens are probably worse than none at all. (No hens, no reason to fight. Lots of hens, some for each. A few hens, trouble. Or so I've read.)

Hens that have been in cages will need some time to adjust to living outside of a cage and acting like chickens. It will be some time before they will be ready to spend time with the roosters.

Every time you get more chickens, you risk of bringing in some kind of disease. Hens + chicks makes two sources of possible diseases. Because the hens have lived longer, they have also had more opportunities to catch diseases and parasites (although parasites are rather unlikely if they are living in cages.) Baby chicks are less likely to have diseases because not many things transmit through eggs, and because they haven't lived long enough to be exposed to very many things.

I don't know what decision is right for you, just sharing my thoughts since you asked for opinions :)

Personally, I would wait for the chicks. My reasons would be:

If you want the roosters to live peacefully, a few hens are probably worse than none at all. (No hens, no reason to fight. Lots of hens, some for each. A few hens, trouble. Or so I've read.)

Hens that have been in cages will need some time to adjust to living outside of a cage and acting like chickens. It will be some time before they will be ready to spend time with the roosters.

Every time you get more chickens, you risk of bringing in some kind of disease. Hens + chicks makes two sources of possible diseases. Because the hens have lived longer, they have also had more opportunities to catch diseases and parasites (although parasites are rather unlikely if they are living in cages.) Baby chicks are less likely to have diseases because not many things transmit through eggs, and because they haven't lived long enough to be exposed to very many things.

I don't know what decision is right for you, just sharing my thoughts since you asked for opinions :)
Okay, thank you! I'd thought of fighting, but hadn't considered diseases.

Back
Top Bottom