Seasonal chicken mom

Shad926

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2024
Hi everyone
I bought sone property in Madison county NC 6 years ago and for the last few years I’ve had chickens I’ve learned a lot and still a lot to be learned. I go back to florida around No ember and sell my chickens. It’s very hard to do. I get attached to them. But each spring I see the little peeps and had to get some . I was in tractor supply and came back with 10 . I am Really not happy. 6 of them have bumble foot which i thought was dried poop. They do not take them back and offered to sell me products. Next year no tractor supply for me . I did what I read on the internet soaked each one of thier feet in warm water with Epsom salts. Got off the banicle looking thing sprayed with peroxide and put on triple antibiotics cream. Amazingly they all look so much better except for one. She is limping and it looks swollen in her ankle . I just soaked it again. I’m not sure if she hurt it s other way or is this typical of bumble foot. She is one of my sapphire splash too . So cute. Any suggestions appreciated
Picture attached was s fiffrent bird but this is what it looked like two days ago. I didn’t want to disturb the little sapphire again she is sleeping near the heat source
IMG_8447.jpeg
IMG_8535.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to BYC. You rescued those chicks! Good for you!
In my humble opinion that was probably caused because the brooder was dirty. It may be amonia burns from the poop. Some tractor supply companies have more dedicated employees than others. All of them should do more training regarding receiving and caring for chicks. I hope you will post in the emergency forum. Don't give up on the little thing & best of luck to you and your new flock.

Back
Top Bottom