Seasonal Variation in Egg Quality

CheepyKeen

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2022
Hello, I recently read a book that mentioned how one chef trained in the EU had to learn how to cater different recipes based on the seasonal quality of eggs. This is something you see having chickens, but I never thought to adjust recipes for it. I was unable to actually find any recipes that accommodates for different quality of eggs, but I did find this paper:

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/62790181.pdf

Some quotes:

Jull (1924) found an increase in egg weight from December through February; from February to April, there was a gradual decrease; and from April through September the egg weight remained low. Egg weight increased again in October and November

Jull (1924) reported a seasonal trend in shell thickness. His work showed the percentage of shell in relation to whole egg increased through February. There was a tendency for percentage of shell to decrease from February through May, with an upward trend the rest of the year.

Knox and Godfrey (1934) reported a seasonal variation in interior quality with the poorest eggs being produced in June.

Does anyone have any experience with altering recipes for different egg qualities? What recipes are best with eggs from certain seasons?

Mayonnaise. and anything like mayonnaise. The quantity of oil needed for the stable emulsion varies with egg size. Same with pasta making, I sometimes have to add a bit of extra flour or a half tsp of water. Humidity affects that too.

Any recipe where the egg is a smaller proportion of the whole, the variations don't reall ymatter.

Back
Top Bottom