Sebastian is Ignoring the New Girl -- Will This Change?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Lamar Estate, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Hello--

I adopted a 15 month old Sebastopol named Arwen on Monday. For the first 11 months of her life, she lived with a lot of geese. Then, for the last 6 months, she's lived by herself. (Her second owner contacted me to see if I'd be interested in her since she thought she would be happier around another goose and that I'd be able to give her a bit more attention.)

Arwen is delightful. She's sweet, likes to cuddle, and is beautiful. My husband and I absolutely adore her. She's become a daddy's girl.

Sebastian, I hatched 13 months ago. He lives inside the house with his duck brother, Gizmo. (They were hatch mates.)

I thought Sebastian would be thrilled to have a girlfriend. While Arwen constantly wants to be around him, Sebastian wants nothing to do with her. If she comes around him, he chases her away.

Will Sebastian's behavior change? Any anecdotes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love this sweet girl and want to make her happy.

Thank you,
    Amanda

Arwen's first day in her forever home!
    [​IMG]

Sebastian showing Arwen the wonders of lettuce.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    He was hatched and bonded to you by you. He sees her as a rival for you and doesn't like her. He also doesn't know he is a goose. It will take time to convince him he is a goose and she is OK.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I do not know a thing about geese, sorry, but just had to pop in and say Sebastian and Arwen are goregeous!

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by