Sebastopol gander critique

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
Okay guys--what do you think of this gander? He's not mine but he's been offered to me for sale...

I'm hoping to improve my flock and he's got a thicker neck than my current gander but other than that, I'm kind of lost....

One on the left:

sebbiegander1.jpg

sebbiegander2.jpg

Quote:
That is a sheep!!

Only kidding. My question is..... how do you know it's a gander? How do you tell the sex when grown? I have been offered a pair when the goose hatches her eggs. How do you sex these geese? I have never had any but love these. do you vent sex hatchlings like ducks?

I would bet from these photos that both are ganders and that you have been offered the better one. Shhhh. Lousy time of year to try and judge feather and/or pattern especially if there is no experience with those individual birds or the line they come from if indeed they do come from an established family. So it boils down to "do you like him?" Might he help breed the sort of Sebastopol you have in mind? Helps if you are able to see him in person.

Quote:
That is a sheep!!

Only kidding. My question is..... how do you know it's a gander? How do you tell the sex when grown? I have been offered a pair when the goose hatches her eggs. How do you sex these geese? I have never had any but love these. do you vent sex hatchlings like ducks?

You can listen to them and the males are louder, kind of honk and trumpet...the females have a more quiet, deeper honk. Males are slightly bigger with thicker necks. That's been my experience.

Quote:
I know....but yes....the lady supposedly has held him back as the nicest one and I'm considering buying him if I can't find anyone else who's selling a pair. They are supposedly pure Holderread line and hatched by this person on their farm last spring. I think he's just housed with other males so I'm not sure if he's bonded or not....I won't be able to see him in person (12 hour or more round trip) and I'd be bribing someone else to pick him up to bring him to a show next weekend where I can get him....

Back
Top Bottom