Sebastopol Goose Aggression

Allisonmarie18

Hatching
May 10, 2021
Hi everyone! I’ve had my 7 week old Sebastopol Geese for almost a week now and I think they’re settling in nicely. I was just wondering if anyone had tips on how to keep them nice. I’ve been quite and trying to move slow but I also have 2 toddlers dogs chickens goats calves all pretty spazy lol. Is there any tips? When will aggression start to show? And what should I be looking for signs of aggression? They aren’t hissing or anything like that but I do think one gave me a little charge last night but that might have just been in my head. I just don’t want to get attached and then have to give them away because of aggression! Thanks so much for the help!

Is it a bad sign two of them are already hissing at my chickens lol. Should I try and find those 2 another home? Will one sour the whole bunch?

Hissing is just as much a reaction to being scared than being aggressive. Asserting their place in the flock will naturally come with chasing, feather pulling and hissing. Once the geese climb to the top of the pile, things will calm down. You, however, need to maintain your fair and impartial dominance over them. They will sass and talk back but that's normal behavior. I would not allow small children around them as they can inflict a lot of pain with their wings and bite. The males will tend to be the ones who make the most noise and the girls will hang around in the background. Not always but a good start in identifying gender.

Back
Top Bottom