Sebbi questions

HenPen

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
New Hampshire
I have noticed several knowledgable Sebbi people posting here and I wondered if you could give me some advice....I am in search of a proper feed for my babies but can not find Purina Duck grower and all the Game feeds are 21% or more for protein can someone tell me what else I may be able to use?

How do you sex Geese,is there a way to know before they reach laying/breeding age?

Is there a way to teach Goslings not to bite,will they out grow it or is that just part of owning Geese?

Is there a list somewhere of treats that are ok to feed them?

Last edited:
I am using Purina Flock Raiser, scratch in moderation and most importantly GRASS! Treats are fine in moderation-especially for training. Geese can be trained to come for treats, and this can be helpful in rounding them up in difficult situations. They will eat apples and pears, most green veggies, BROWN rice-cooked, Corn on the cob (don't spoil them on this!) and good quality whole grain bread. Geese do not eat bugs, fish etc.... they are vegans. Babies LOVE dandelions, greens and flowers-full of vities for them! There is no commercial feed that I know of that is specifically formulated for geese-waterfowl feeds seem all to contain animal protein (fish meal. which ducks need, as they are not vegans).
Too much protein in youngsters developing feathers can cause their feathers to grow too fast and they can develop drop wing. Green food and exercise will help prevent this.

I have been using flockraiser also, they have feathered out well and seem to be happy. They LOVE treats and are total sweethearts so far.

Geese need a little higher protein food the first three weeks. Between 18-20 protein food is good then you need to drop the protein down to around 15 percent. The game bird starter some people use is around 27 percent protein. If you would have to use that you need to mix it half and half with a 15 percent protein food and that counterbalances it. One thing regarding treats since someone mentioned flowers is that some flowers are poisonous to geese so make sure to check if any flowers you may have around your yard are not poison if your geese have access to them.

I do feed 22% for the first 3 weeks and you can add some oats with that, and then go down to 16% including sunflower seeds , milo, oats. They love fireweed, and we give them Buffalo grass which they love.

I should have said "dandelion flowers"-
big_smile.png
I would never let the kids eat my flowers! I don't grow poisonous ones, like foxglove anymore-too many animals that could be harmed.
Geese seem to have a natural instinct not to eat poisonous weeds, and there are many.

I have used the Purina Flock Raiser for years. The last sacks I got from the feed store are different. The bag is plastic, not paper, the feed is darker, smells different and reacts to water different. In mentioning this to the owner, he said Purina has sold out to Land of Lakes ?. The birds do not like the new feed as well as the old. I do not know if the change is for the better or worse, but it is different. I will be looking for new feed for the flock.

we couldn't find duck grower either, but we talked to our feed store and they ordered some just for us.....I have noticed other people buying it now that it is on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom