Sebright Bantam Hen Suddenly Aggressive?

Malibu99, Baby, my rooster in my avatar didn't learn how to take a dirtbath until he was 6 months old. He preferred to bathe in soiled pine shavings! Drove me crazy. He was raised indoors, minus dirt, with only pine shavings, so he didn't care for dirt. But finally I found him blissfully rolling in the dirt with his sister, who taught him the joys of dustbathing on the first day of Spring. Now he loves it. I mix sand in with the dirt. You might try mixing some sand in with the dirt for Petrie. It helps get rid of mites/parasites.

What does XD mean?

My Sebright girl seems fine. She's consistently laying. She does like to hog the laying spot, staying there for a long time after she lays. The white girls thus have to lay in another spot, which they don't care much for. No sign of aggressiveness now on the Sebright hen's part, so that's good.

That was it! Coccidiosis! I couldn't remember what the foul smell was associated with, but that is it. I hope Petrie gets better.

Thanks. If you want a visual sign of Cocci, here it is (notice the neck and tail posture ; ignore my random rambling.) http://tinypic.com/r/202lg3/6 She sometimes ruffles her feathers as well, and I'm not sure if the nostril clicking is associated with the Cocci or if it's a defect. Oh and sorry for taking over your thread XD

Thanks for the info, Malibu. Two of my girls had a similar position today. One was the Sebright. I hope she didn't get chilled perching in the draft the other night. It looked like she was breathing hard when she was sitting in her dustbath area, and her tail was down. When I went to check on her, she got up and acted perky. But she didn't lay an egg today. I still wonder whether she may have eggbinding issues. A half-leghorn had a similar head and tail position, but she laid an egg today. She didn't lay yesterday.

Is cocci pretty curable? I sure hope so! I need to clean out the greenhouse very well. I also need to put a screen over the shelf in the coop so they don't roost there while I'm gone on vacation. I don't want them sitting/sleeping in their droppings.

Don't worry about taking over my thread. You aren't doing that. It's no problem.

Chickens 4 Ever, what did your chicken who lived to be 4 years old die of? I worry the most about dogs getting my babies. I don't let them out to free range much, because of this. We have random dogs run through the field. So I always stay with my chickens when I let them out.

Thanks for the info, Malibu. Two of my girls had a similar position today. One was the Sebright. I hope she didn't get chilled perching in the draft the other night. It looked like she was breathing hard when she was sitting in her dustbath area, and her tail was down. When I went to check on her, she got up and acted perky. But she didn't lay an egg today. I still wonder whether she may have eggbinding issues. A half-leghorn had a similar head and tail position, but she laid an egg today. She didn't lay yesterday.

Is cocci pretty curable? I sure hope so! I need to clean out the greenhouse very well. I also need to put a screen over the shelf in the coop so they don't roost there while I'm gone on vacation. I don't want them sitting/sleeping in their droppings.
I believe Cocci is very easy to cure at this stage. Mine are doing the exact same thing. I'd reccomend treating the whole flock with Corid (Cocci is contagious. I'm learning so much now that my chicks have it.). The Corid won't hurt them, even if they don't have it. Feed them yogurt too. If you need more info, take a look at my '6 Week Old Pullet Smells Bad' thread. Such an odd name for a Cocci thread. XD

Back
Top Bottom