chickenboy95

Songster
11 Years
Dec 12, 2008
se ohio
if any one has any information on sebright bantams like:

- can they stand cold/winter??
-can they stand heat/summer??
-do they lay eggs or is there egg production poor??

and if anyone has any pictures of there sebright i would love to see them

thanks in advance to anyone who helps me!!
smile.png

Hendersons breed index says "not robust". We had a silver sebright that was adorable. I think if it had ever gotten to some sugar water it would have been indistinguishable from a hummingbird. It squawked constantly, moved in jittery little spurts like a caffeine junky, and wanted constant attention. He'd still be here if he hadn't ripped the comb of a couple hens, peeled ones head of skin, pecked holes in eggs, etc.

No, they do not stand cold well. They need to be warm all the time. The egg production is so-so. They are hyper and bossy...quick and flighty. They are beautiful and showy and have a lot of personality, but in my opinion they are not ideal for a backyard chicken. Mine scalped another bantam, and was re-homed. Others died from illness due to chill, I believe. They were a lot of work.

Do a search (up top on the blue bar) for "sebright" and you will get a lot of pictures and info.

Here is a pic of my two Sebrights, Mr. and Mrs. Chicken.

15765_all_pics_340.jpg

Some background info on them:

Bought them April '08 as day old chicks. We had fun raising them and watching them grow. It got to a point where Mr. Chicken, started to become a bit aggressive and loud, as some cockerels do, so he moved to the country last fall. Mrs. Chicken stayed with us and for a time, took over the alpha flock roll and even crowed until our new cockerel finally kicked the stuffing out of her! (She needed it). They are not especially warm or friendly birds and a very alert. They would rather not be around people unless you have a treat! Mrs. C., was more tolerant of being handled than Mr. C. When Mrs. C, began laying, she laid an egg every 2-3 days. We took her to the country where Mr. C, was for a weekend sleep over... We were able to hatch one chick from her and Mr. C. We call her Missy Chicken.
When it got cold here her egg production went way down. She might lay once a week. She tolerated the cold but did not adjust as well as even our Serama. Maybe if Mr. C was here she might have laid more. Mrs. C., also developed a crooked beak so we could not show her like we originally planned.
Sadly, we lost Mrs. C, a few weeks ago. She had worms and we did not know it, we thought she had injured her neck. She was my little buddy, always curious about what I was doing. She is missed.
Sebright's are a very striking bird that gather a lot of attention from passersby. They are not necessarily friendly, but can be handled if raised right.Hope this little example of a sebright life helps you...
15765_all_pics_022.jpg

What they said.
smile.png

My Speedy is a nutcase. She's VERY active and loud. She's not terribly friendly unless you have treats. I find that she is very treat driven!
The winter here has been really cold. Speedy seems to spend more time on the cold days tucked in next to all the others. At night she is quick to cram herself up against somebody fluffier. So far she has done okay.
She has just recently started laying. I'm getting an egg about every three days. Granted, most of the banties are on that schedule. I expect it to improve as the days get longer.
She seems to be middle of the pecking order. When the banties were in with the standards, she was pretty low on the scale. Now that I've pulled the banties out she has settled in middle of the pile.

Speedy-IMG_2949.jpg

She's great fun to watch. I really do enjoy her. I'm pretty sure that I won't get anymore sebrights. One is enough.

like the post before they are flighty and a little loud but with a lot of handling they can be calmed down, or that was the case with my sebrights.
IMG00148.jpg

thanks everyone.
the info helped.
i think i am going to get a few gold/silver sebrights from the chicken show in november.
until then i will stick with what i got.
thanks but more info and pictures would be great.

Back
Top Bottom