**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

4 MW poults hatched, 1 zipping, 1 pipped, and 1 egg left still waiting.
fl.gif

what am I doing wrong? I candled right before lockdown and there were 32 developed and moving, 4 days later only 8 hatched, 2 pipped but never made it out... nothing from the rest I candled 2, no movement so i opened them, they had pipped internally then died. What could be causing this? It happened in my hatch before this one, 24 definitely developed and only 4 hatched, what is going on? I basically did a dry incubation, the air cells looked about right... I'm sick about this, they're so close, ugh! so disappointing, I have another 4 doz in the incubator due to hatch in 10 days I'd like to try figure out the issue so they have a chance to hatch. any ideas?
Here is some trouble shooting advice from the poultry gurus at UC Davis

Troubleshooting: Specific Problems

1. Sign: Not pipped. Full-term embryo, large yolk sac; yolk sac may not be fully enclosed by abdominal wall, may have residual albumen. Causes:
    1. Inadequate turning, resulting in decreased embryonic membrane development and nutrient absorption.
    2. Humidity too high during incubation or after transfer.
    3. Incubator temperature too low.
    4. Hatcher temperature too high.
    5. Eggs chilled (e.g., at transfer).
    6. Nutritional deficiencies.
    7. Heredity.
    8. Embryological development accident.
    9. Breeder diseases.
    10. Inadequate ventilation.
    11. Prolonged egg storage.
  2. Sign: Pipped. Full-term embryo, dead in shell. Causes:
    1. Low humidity or temperature for a prolonged period.
    2. Low humidity during hatching.
    3. High temperature during hatching.
    4. Nutritional deficiencies.
    5. Breeder diseases.
    6. Poor ventilation.
    7. Inadequate turning during first 12 days.
    8. Injury during transfer.
    9. Prolonged egg storage.
  3. Sign: Shell partially pipped, embryo alive or dead. Causes:
    1. See 8.a-i.
    2. Excessive fumigation during hatching.
    3. Eggs set small end up.

Quote:
You are welcome to them but they are just mixed birds this year. I have Naraganset and black slate toms over Slate, bronze and black slate females. I REALLY want to raise Sweetgrass so I did order some from Porters.
You all have a good point about size. The CdM males I had last year were 17-18 pounds butchered and that's almost too big. Perhaps I could use a smaller batch. Hmmm. I do have a lot of broody birds right now.....

Turkey chick question..... do they always consume so much water and crap water and poo or is something wrong with my three? they are a week old almost!

Turkey chick question..... do they always consume so much water and crap water and poo or is something wrong with my three? they are a week old almost!
lau.gif

I only had the two that hatched with the Guineas for three days but they were poop eaters! What a mess they made!
th

Last edited:
Quote: Recycling!!!!

Reminds me of an impromtu quiz in college in feeds class. Three nutrient profules were written on the black board-- we had to pick the best to feed X animal.

We were ALL wqrong. Cow manure had the best profile.
th.gif
THe dicussion expanded to note that foals MUST eat mothers manure to develop the healthy gut they need to become good digesters of hay/grass. I have since learned rabbits are the same, though I think the adults also need access. YUK ! lol

Back
Top Bottom