**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

I lost the one that broke it's yolk sack and I think I lost two of my quail chicks to heat. One A&M and a normal colored one.
hmm.png
I switched out the bulb for a much cooler one and they're all doing fine.

As for the finale EE, it's doing great. It lives in a cottage cheese bowl in the brooder for now. Just until it's navel heals and then it can go in with everyone else. Two of my ducklings like to lay next to the bowl and talk to it.
lol.png

There are some great threads on here about Oxine. I make sure I always have it, I use it for the incubator, the pens and coops and around my fences. To many feral birds. It's great in the house too. If we have a cold or the flu, I spray it in the air all over the house and where I'm usually sick for a long time, even if I am, I can breath and most times if only one person is sick, not one else gets sick. I love that stuff. DON'T use the citric acid unless you have a respirator. It can be lethal. I got my first order as a package and I know I can use it for other things, but have never even opened it. I think it's Reliance??? That I order mine from. I always do it when they have free shipping. Oxine costs enough, but shipping makes it so much more. I know there are BYC members that also sell it and you can get I think a Qt size bottle? Not sure. I bought the gallons. Wish I could remember who sold in on here though. maybe it's something that BYC should add to their store, cause a lot of us use it. You can mix it in a spray bottle and cover a dog crate with a towel and mist the bird that way. I saw that several people had done that and as far as I remember it worked.
I already have a gallon. I got it from Revival Animal Health. I also got a Preval Paint Sprayer from the auto shop that will make any fluid into a soft mist for misting birds directly. What I need to know is what proportion of Oxine to water to use. I'll search the threads. Also, how long to mist the birds? I was thinking at night when they are all inside their coop would be the easiest way. But does it matter if I "treat" a bird that isn't symptomatic?

The really sucky thing was this all started by a bad judgment call. I had my beginning flock of around a dozen birds for almost a year without incident. Then one day in Jan, we were at someone's farm & he was selling some chooks. The birds looked healthy. I bought 2 & my friend bought 3 or 4. All adults. Shortly after, this crud began. The birds I bought never got sick...to this day they are not sick. But I wonder if they are carriers? Of the birds she bought, 2 got sick. One came through but the other died. When my rooster got sick recently, I had already decided to send him in to UC Davis (though I can't open the link with the form...it freezes my computer). But he got better. I was so sure he was gonna die. I had already wrote him off in my mind. If one dies, I can send one in, but I cannot deliberately kill a chicken.

Lesson learned...I never buy someone else's birds anymore. I can hatch eggs, but that's where it ends.

I already have a gallon. I got it from Revival Animal Health. I also got a Preval Paint Sprayer from the auto shop that will make any fluid into a soft mist for misting birds directly. What I need to know is what proportion of Oxine to water to use. I'll search the threads. Also, how long to mist the birds? I was thinking at night when they are all inside their coop would be the easiest way. But does it matter if I "treat" a bird that isn't symptomatic?

The really sucky thing was this all started by a bad judgment call. I had my beginning flock of around a dozen birds for almost a year without incident. Then one day in Jan, we were at someone's farm & he was selling some chooks. The birds looked healthy. I bought 2 & my friend bought 3 or 4. All adults. Shortly after, this crud began. The birds I bought never got sick...to this day they are not sick. But I wonder if they are carriers? Of the birds she bought, 2 got sick. One came through but the other died. When my rooster got sick recently, I had already decided to send him in to UC Davis (though I can't open the link with the form...it freezes my computer). But he got better. I was so sure he was gonna die. I had already wrote him off in my mind. If one dies, I can send one in, but I cannot deliberately kill a chicken.

Lesson learned...I never buy someone else's birds anymore. I can hatch eggs, but that's where it ends.
If one gets really sick and is suffering, They will euthanize for you. If one of the labs is close enough for you to drive there of course.

I work on the Davis campus so I can get over there on my break.

If one gets really sick and is suffering, They will euthanize for you. If one of the labs is close enough for you to drive there of course.

I work on the Davis campus so I can get over there on my break.

I don't live close. I live near Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA. I was thinking of trying the Oxine mist. See what it does. I am back to tetracycline in the water. Wanna dose the symptomatic birds orally with Tylan.

I don't live close. I live near Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA. I was thinking of trying the Oxine mist. See what it does. I am back to tetracycline in the water. Wanna dose the symptomatic birds orally with Tylan.

San Bernardino is 86 miles from Valencia. California has 4 labs. That is fairly far, but the test is free.

The Necropsy report has a lot great information.

Last edited:
San Bernardino is 86 miles from Valencia. California has 4 labs. That is fairly far, but the test is free.

The Necropsy report has a lot great information.

The thing I worry about is what if they say they have to cull all the birds? My birds are on my neighbor's property & there are many other people who keep birds there. There are over 1000 birds on the property. I cannot be responsible for that. Am I just over worried? Or is that a real possibility?

Quote: With so many people bringing birds in over there it's no wonder they are sick. People are bringing stuff in from everywhere & giving it to all of the birds. You can't get rid of it because only your birds are being treated & as soon as you stop treating yours they get it right back from the sick ones. Personally, I would get my birds out of there ASAP, cull any that need it & start fresh in a closed environment if necessary. The more people you have bringing in birds, especially from unknown sources, the more sick birds you will have.

I thought you couldn't use the citric acid on the birds, just the coops and pens. I may be wrong, but if it's lethal I'm pretty sure you don't. I do know that for misting that most did it at night while the roosted. I wish I could help, but I use it as a precautionary treatment on the pens. I hope someone that knows the measurements will see this and help you. Have you tried their site or...I know there's a website that explains it that someone has out there. Maybe I can find it.

ummm Yeah, Revivial. LOL oops

And yeah the birds could have been carriers.

Back
Top Bottom