**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

The photo is deceptive, that was a very small roasting pan and the camera was close, LOL

It was really only about a 3 pound bird dressed, so the rest will be allowed to grow out more. Before he went in the oven, we kept referring to him as a squab. He looked better roasted. But there are only two of us, with senior citizen appetites, so he'll make two full meals and a bit of snacking.

He was a blue slate. We have around 30 poults growing in that pen. I'm planning to keep a breeding trio of blacks, but I know I'm not saving the slates. So DH was directed to just grab the largest gray bird he saw.

Maybe I can start a food world trend of single serving turkeys!

YEs, small turkeys are desireable too:: beltsvilee small and white midgets support your idea.
OH I meant the breast size was very good. FOr a y oung bird or a 9 month. Looks filled out.

I still only have one "for sure" tom from the hatch. I probably have more but they are waiting to tell me. I am glad that they seemed to get the idea of "treat time" pretty quick. I don't have to play chase a poult but sometimes I do have to shoo them towards the gate so they can find it.

Nigel, my only CdM poult, is fascinated with Kevin the Free Peacock. Wherever Kevin has gone - on top of the pergola, the deck cover or the roof of the house - Nigel has gone as well. Almost like Kevin is his big brother and he has a case of hero worship.
:lau

No gobbling yet, but he has displayed twice, that I have witnessed.

Nigel, my only CdM poult, is fascinated with Kevin the Free Peacock. Wherever Kevin has gone - on top of the pergola, the deck cover or the roof of the house - Nigel has gone as well. Almost like Kevin is his big brother and he has a case of hero worship.
lau.gif

No gobbling yet, but he has displayed twice, that I have witnessed.
Awwwww . . . .how wonderful to have a big brother to show him the heights.

So, I'm positing a message I'll be putting on other threads, too- it's really hard to post this, but I'm just stretched tooo thin, and it has to happen for a bit. I'll be keeping my favorite hens in my backyard, and I'm keeping the R-Com and the Sportsman...for those who know about my home-made incubator, I'm keeping that (the FarmGirl NQB8R), too.

It's tough, but temporary.

Arielle, you listening? There's a bit further down you'll be interested in...

My job has whipped me up and down the block for the last year or so, and that's in addition to having relatives here, being a caregiver, and home-schooling teen daughters. I'm strung out.

I have to liquidate. I've said it before, but this is really it. I have to get rid of everything that isn't legal within city limits, because the farm at which I have my breeding facility is also closing down. I have a deadline now.

So: I'm listing in BYC threads initially because so many of you are like-minded and I'd love some of my projects to go on...I'd like to get back into them eventually! I mean, these kids will be going off to college, and perhaps someday I'll have my own farm! Having a farm on someone else's property kinda stinks, really...I'd like to be able to go outside to care for all of my birds...not have to get in the car!

Anyway...

I have a flock of banty Cochins, which were moving toward Chocolate. I have a Blue hen, a Mottled trio, a Chocolate pullet, three black cockerels split to Chocolate, and a Black trio.

I have a flock of d'Uccles that were moving toward Chocolate: 5 Chocolate pullets, a split cockerel, a Black Copper roo, a 6 pack of Isabel chicks and lots of Black and Chocolate chicks.

I have a flock of Marans: a trio of FBCM, 2 Chocolate Copper pullets, a Black roo, a Blue hen, a Splash hen...and tons of chicks, many of them split to or fully Chocolate.

I have a flock of Silkies: 3 Black hens, a Blue roo, a Splash hen, and a White hen. Tons of varied chicks.

The Konzas. Here my heart breaks. I have 5 roos and 10 pullets and a bunch of chicks. They are magnificent. I may just try to keep them locally somewhere if someone around here will foster the project for a bit. They are everything I wanted them to be.

I have a Chocolate Rock project, but need to inventory them...

I also have a trio of Bourbon Reds, a pair of Royal Palms, and 4 or 6 poults of varied lineage.

*sigh*

Message me if you're interested. I will ship.

Back
Top Bottom