**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Renee, I'm sorry to read this but understand completely!
hugs.gif
I hope all of your varied flocks find great homes!

I'm sorry, too, Renee. I wish (there I go again) that I was closer. I would foster them for you until you were ready to have them back. I know your heartbroken, but I'm sure your decision is what's best. Let me know if there is something I can do to help you.

Hey everyone - looking for your input on if Roosters hatched this last Cinco de Mayo that have begun to crow will also likely be mating or start mating soon? 11-12 weeks old now and have been crowing for a few weeks. I am interested in breeding them back to some Red Stars we have at my parents house before i move them out to my home in mid august.

I would say if they are not ready, it won't be long. I think if there is no other older) rooster to interfere, they would be trying to get the job done.
Cool! They have been living next to the adult hens for a while now, going to allow the adult hens over to the pullet area tonight or early next week then check for fertility later in the week.

I haven't seen them try to mate with the pullets yet but I don't spend too much time out there watching either. I wonder if the young boys will get bullied but the slightly larger adult hens.

Oh, yeah! I laugh at the young Romeo's trying to first man-handle the biddies. The old hens won't put up with it and will put them in their places. Pecking, plucking huge beakfulls of feathers, and sometimes litterally whooping the cockerals into behaving. Then they will either try that with the younger pullets, or will try to woo the older ones with treats and wing drag dances. The biddies won't likely fall for it. Better give it a couple of weeks, then check the fertility on the younger pullets eggs, first. I have one old biddy that will only submit to the alpha cock if he proves himself my winning a fight with her, fair and square. The cockerals are capable of inseminating the hens at about 12-14 weeks, that don't mean the hens will co-operate!

Oh, yeah! I laugh at the young Romeo's trying to first man-handle the biddies. The old hens won't put up with it and will put them in their places. Pecking, plucking huge beakfulls of feathers, and sometimes litterally whooping the cockerals into behaving. Then they will either try that with the younger pullets, or will try to woo the older ones with treats and wing drag dances. The biddies won't likely fall for it. Better give it a couple of weeks, then check the fertility on the younger pullets eggs, first. I have one old biddy that will only submit to the alpha cock if he proves himself my winning a fight with her, fair and square. The cockerals are capable of inseminating the hens at about 12-14 weeks, that don't mean the hens will co-operate!
Thanks for the info! Closing on my home August 7th which is why I am crossing my fingers - I only kept 2 hens from the last hatch so I need to hatch again. Maybe my parents will let me keep my rooster at their house for a couple weeks after the move. By that time hopefully the older hens will be willing.

I did notice that the older hens were brushing off his attempts today. I let them intermingle and it went a LOT better than it usually does. I am wondering if the cockerels changed the dynamic enough or if it's just from living next to each other for a longer period of time that they already established the pecking order.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Closing on my home August 7th which is why I am crossing my fingers - I only kept 2 hens from the last hatch so I need to hatch again. Maybe my parents will let me keep my rooster at their house for a couple weeks after the move. By that time hopefully the older hens will be willing.

I did notice that the older hens were brushing off his attempts today. I let them intermingle and it went a LOT better than it usually does. I am wondering if the cockerels changed the dynamic enough or if it's just from living next to each other for a longer period of time that they already established the pecking order.

Last year I was able to hide an SG Dorking Cockerel at my place. The first time the old girls met him, they attacked him. He had to jump and spin over them to get away. Then 3 of them ganged up on him, so I picked him up and took him back to the Garage. I Introduced him to the flock again the next day and it went a bit better. On the third day I popped him into the coop with them at bed time.

A month later I collected a dozen eggs and hatched 10 chicks. Two of the eggs were from an un related SG Dorking Pullet, the only one I have and they were clears. He never did warm up to her but the love of his live was a Blue Marans. They were always together.

Last edited:
SCG, how old were your ducks when you invited them to dinner?

I've got eight MESSY pekin ducklings that I'm planning to keep as briefly as possible. Right now they are coming up on four weeks old and I can't believe how quickly they've grown!

SCG, how old were your ducks when you invited them to dinner?

I've got eight MESSY pekin ducklings that I'm planning to keep as briefly as possible. Right now they are coming up on four weeks old and I can't believe how quickly they've grown!

They are "ready to go" at 12 weeks and are delicious up until about a year.

Are they outside, yet? That helps with the mess. Mine free range all day, which also helps. When they're confined it's a mud fest in there.

Back
Top Bottom