Second chicken now ill - medication questions please

I'm still taking it one day at a time. I'm not seeing any improvement with Louise. I said goodbye to her tonight in case it's God's will for her to go. About 6 months ago, she developed a cyst or something on her eye. I have treated it with Vetrx and, seeing no results, I later treated her for eye worm. It's still there.

With this current illness, I started out treating her for odorous vent gleet, and that's now gone. But she's not getting any better. She sleeps all day for the past 2 days. I'm thinking, maybe cancer??

Anyway, thank you for asking. I'm crying as I write this. :(

Sandi

So sorry her health has not improved. Take comfort in knowing that you did everything you could do. You have went above and beyond. Take care and keep us posted.

thank you so much for asking. I had to make the decision to put her down on Monday. She was a tough little girl though. But she was barely hanging on and it appeared that I was only prolonging the inevitable. She was so weak, she couldn't even stand. When I picked her up,, she couldn't even open her eyes and there was no meat left on her to be found. I wasn't seeing any signs of improvement. And it was beginning to appear that perhaps she might have had lymphoma leukosis. (Sic?)

I put the other two back with the flock and they seem okay. I'm treating all of them with Corid. And my flock of new baby chicks will be wormed next week, (for the first time), they're about 3-4 mos. old.

But this site is awesome! I've gleaned so much information here; but there's still so much to learn.

Thank you for asking. Now, if I can just keep them all warm enough, they might all make it to Spring w/o any further incidences.

Thank you, especially, to Castorpony, who helped me so much.

Sandi

@casportpony -She is great!

Glad you enjoy byc. I too have learned so much from this website. I think you made the right decision with you chicken although it is never easy. We as farmers have tough decisions sometimes. But it is our responsibility to make the call. Take care. Let us know if you have any other questions.

. Thank you. But, we did save 2 out of the three; which I couldn't have done without your help. Especially helpful were the dosages you helped me with (and the formulas you gave me to figure them out by myself) and the links to where I could find the medications I needed. I had even (on the last day) figured out how to tube feed her.

So, thanks for all you do to help the vast majority of us who would be lost otherwise.

Grateful in Rawhide, Texas
Sandi

Back
Top Bottom