Second guessing that my big boy is the breed I purchased

There is a breed that fits, American bresse, but I think they are extremely rare. So I don't think it is that, but wouldn't hurt to ask if you bought him from a breeder.
Speaking of Bresse, I traded a few of my extra roosters for what we're supposed to be Bresse pullets. I'm not going to assume that they are that. If so, I have 4 that are just shy of 4 months old and they are actually pretty babies. I don't see them getting as big as giagantor the white Wonder chicken lol. Here's a picture of the girls.

Attachments

• IMG_20230212_142539545.jpg
    IMG_20230212_142539545.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 3
There is a breed that fits, American bresse, but I think they are extremely rare. So I don't think it is that, but wouldn't hurt to ask if you bought him from a breeder.
His parents were bought in a lot of several breeds at a auction and they were WLH... Him and his brother were hatched and being Roosters they were sold as WLH. That's all I know, I was looking for a trio or chicks and a friend of both of us asked if I would like to get them, I didn't want two roosters so I agreed to the one and I paid $10 bucks, not a big loss on my part and he's a beautiful boy, he's just massive and I have had to resort to brahmas in the hens to keep him company because they are the only ones that are remotely close enough for him to not smash. Honestly he's scared of his own shadow, but I still don't want him to be alone so... Brahmas girls it is. Their eggs will be for our family to eat, I have no intention of sending those little ones out into the world lol.

If he's from a backyard breeder then he is probably a mixed breed. If he's from a hatchery/feed store he is probably one of their hybrids.
Hybrid is my guess. The gentleman I got him from isn't a breeder so far as just throwing in whatever he's go in the same pen, he is a good breeder that I think was not given a full disclosure of the parents lines and he breed to his knowledge of.

The stats you gave don't sound very big?
6lbs is about average for a typical Large Fowl hen, and 8lbs for roosters. Leghorn hens run about 4 lbs +/-.
His height and wingspan sound normal.

I'd call his shank color white, or depleted yellow. The latter happens to the Leghorn hens after a long laying season, as the carotenoids from certain foods are used in egg yolks. It's possible a rooster raised without access to many of those foods could lack the carotenoids to color his shanks.
He may be a California White? Which are half Leghorn, bred for production.

Back
Top Bottom