Second incubator for hatching

Birdland10

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2019
Hello everyone,
Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good second incubator for hatching?
I've got a large bator with a turner inside, so I don't want the little guys to hatch in there and get crushed.
I only need something small, maybe 7-10 eggs max. Something the little ones can hatch and dry out in before the brooder box.

Many thanks

I really like my Nurture Right 360 for hatching. It's a little bigger than what you might be looking for but still on the small side with a 22 egg capacity. It has a few cons like a lid that is annoying to lift and it can be a little awkward to clean, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. It has a way to add water from the outside so you can add water easily without having to open the incubator to keep the water topped off and humidity from dropping during a hatch. It has a really nice view to be able to watch the hatching process, and mine holds the temperature very well despite the room temperature fluctuating. Lifting the lid just slightly if you have to grab a chick out doesn't drop humidity too terribly much and it returns fairly quickly. One of my favorite things about using the nurture right 360 to hatch is if I position the eggs with the air cells facing the window I can use a bright flashlight/candler to see internal pips/moving/breathing inside the egg without having to open the incubator. This has been really helpful with eggs that tend to have a more difficult time hatching (like shipped eggs) as I can better evaluate how each individual is progressing and if they may need help (this has really helped my hatch rate of eggs that make it to day 18-19 with shipped eggs).

It's not the cheapest incubator out there but it's a very good value for the price (I've got a brinsea octagon 20 eco as well and it was more expensive and doesn't have as many features or hold temperature quite as well).

One thing to look out for if buying is there was an older model with some major issues (the electronics were not properly protected against humidity and could go bad, and the fan guard had openings that were too large and unsafe for chicks as they could stick there heads up into the fan and be injured). The new model fixed these issues and is great. It's easy to tell which model you have by looking at the fan guard. If you did happen to get the older model you can contact the company and they will send you the new parts to fix it (I bought mine last spring and thankfully it was the newer model so I didn't have to go through that hassle).

Back
Top Bottom