Second set of eggs? Help needed with duckling

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
I currently have a 3 week old duckling named P.J. , it was the only one who hatched out of a nest of 18!

Well first things first, when can I tell what gender it is?

It is a mallard/ buff orp mix ( so im hoping for pretty colors ) xD

Also, I went out, to check the kennels ( tonight is my little one's first sleep over, P.J. is too big for our 30 gallon tank in the house
sad.png
) and found that my little mama was holding out on me, she has a new nest of 8 eggs.

Mom and dad are both 10 months old, is it possible for her to have two different hatches?

I was surprised in the first place when P.J. hatched, now I find another nest!

Any advice or stories to share?

You can usually begin to tell the sex by their quack. A hen will make a loud one and the males are soft...
My muscovy hen spent most of the summer raising her babies. When she weaned them she started running with drake and built another nest!
My turkey hen has tried to set 4 times this year! I let her hatch out one batch and took them.
She then built a nest out in the pasture. I did break her up because predators could get her..
My muscovy hen is due to hatch hers in 2 more weeks... Just what I need is baby ducks in cold weather!
Oh and there are a few guinea eggs in there too. My guinea hens are strange..they will lay in other birds nests... like a cookoo bird
hmm.png

Im in trouble if it is a boy, I already have two drakes and thats pushing it
hmm.png
I hope its female, Considering it is loud, but then again not very rough like mamma, im not sure.. ugh, the suspense is killing me.

Back
Top Bottom