Second swing at incubating eBay eggs

natemoore1986

Songster
9 Years
Aug 3, 2012
I didn't have good results in the first 8 eBay FBCM eggs I incubated. Zero chicks. I asked the seller to send more because only three out of the eight were fertile. She agreed and sent 6 or 8 more. Only one of those hatched. Got a fine FBCM hen who lets me pick her up any time I want.

I took another stab at it. I found a really nice and inexpensive automatic digital incubator on Amazon. It was less than $100. It is forced air whereas my first one--a borrowed Brinsea Octagon 10--was not. The new one is automatic temperature control with digital readouts for temp and humidity. It has auto-turn, auto-lock down, countdown display, and external water top off with a half tank for the first 18 days and a full tank for the last 3 days of incubation. Oh, it also has a powerful built-in candler.

It was easy to maintain about 50% RH then 75% RH. They really have the water volume figured out. It stayed at 99.5F steadily, except when I took off the lid of course. Once or twice toward the end it indicated 100F, but went back down half a degree quickly.

Even during Hurricane Sally when the electricity cut off and on many times one day, it didn't lose its memory or reset. I really like this unit.

I got this last batch of eggs from beckysbirdsoftexas. They are light Sussex. All 8 were fertile. I got 5 spunky little yellow fuzzballs in the brooder now. Two of the late hatchlings are still in the incubator gaining strength. They seem to be doing well. They only hatched a few hours ago. One unfortunately died fairly recently. So that's an outstanding result in my opinion. She has that certification to ship across state lines. We did FedEx 2 day air instead of USPS.

I'm trying to get them all to imprint on me. I hate chickens that run away like cockroaches.
62256413936__F8305DE3-0801-4232-B75E-8C8A68CA6F89.JPG
62256478280__F28564DF-8C94-4FF8-852B-B9F70132B48A.JPG
IMG_3282.JPEG
IMG_3283.JPEG

That 1st ebay seller sounded like a really nice person for sending additional eggs. Unless you broke the eggs and looked for the bullseye, failure to start development doesn't mean the eggs were infertile. Shipping would easily cause eggs to not develop and seem infertile. The seller would know this so I applaud selllers that really want to please the people who buy and are not out there just for the cash.

Sounds like a great set-up. I think you will find that when you have a number of chicks they will not imprint on you like the one lone chick. Most chicks are skittish at first and become calmer as they get bigger. It's nature's way of protecting them; especially from moving things above them. I have my brooder elevated off the floor. The chicks are much calmer than when the brooder was floor level.

That 1st ebay seller sounded like a really nice person for sending additional eggs. Unless you broke the eggs and looked for the bullseye, failure to start development doesn't mean the eggs were infertile. Shipping would easily cause eggs to not develop and seem infertile. The seller would know this so I applaud selllers that really want to please the people who buy and are not out there just for the cash.

Sounds like a great set-up. I think you will find that when you have a number of chicks they will not imprint on you like the one lone chick. Most chicks are skittish at first and become calmer as they get bigger. It's nature's way of protecting them; especially from moving things above them. I have my brooder elevated off the floor. The chicks are much calmer than when the brooder was floor level.

When I stick my head in the brooder and put my hands on the floor, most of them come a-runnin'. We'll see...

Yeah, I left positive feedback, and it was nice of her to send more. Still, 1 out of 14 eggs hatched. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom