Second time posting here....

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
and it still feels weird! I have a really stupid question- how many meals would a chicken make? I've been vegetarian all my life so I really have no idea. I'm just writing something and need to know.

Thanks!

One to twenty depending. The asians can make a chicken last a week and feed 20or more our house it makes about 3 meals.

and it still feels weird! I have a really stupid question- how many meals would a chicken make? I've been vegetarian all my life so I really have no idea. I'm just writing something and need to know.

Thanks!

Your answer is going to vary wildly depending on the size of the chicken and the appetite of the consumer, not to mention what, if anything else is eaten in the same meal.
If a small amount of chicken meat is used to supplement a pasta dish or salad, then a chicken could provide meat for 20+ servings.
If a rotisserie chicken is served to a large hungry man with no sides but sliced bread, it could provide as little as 1 meal.

I'm usually vegetarian, so its odd that I'm pretty involved in the 'meat birds' section of this forum.
But when you raise your own, and I know everyone is different, but for me it feels like a safer more humane choice if you want to eat meat.
I like having a roasted chicken for the major holidays or a nice alternative sit down family meal.

I raised Dorkings this year and we processed our own. The last one we did weighed 4.5 pounds dressed and fed my husband and I with enough for a second meal of leftovers the next day, skin for the dog ;) and also you boil down the bones to make soup or broth to keep.

I think one chicken could feed 4 regular eaters along with a few sufficient side dishes, depending on size of the bird and the appetite of your dinner guests.

I completally forgot I posted this, sorry. For one, I'm not at all intrested in eating meat or having meat birds, as I said before, I'm just writing something and need to know.
Basically, how many meals would 1 whole cornish X chicken at average processing age last somebody who was averagally hungry. The meals would have no sides, just this one cornish cross.
Thanks!

IMHO, if you were only having the chicken. I would say 1 chicken would last 2 adults for 2 meals. This is purely based on what my husband and I would eat. Nothing scientific here.

A reasonable amount, say I am planning for guests, would be a quarter for each person. So I would plan one chicken for 4 people. There might be leftovers, there might not be.

It's hard to imagine a meal with nothing served but chicken, but I would still allow one quarter per person.

If the chicken needs to be stretched to feed more people, It goes into stir fry or gets made into a casserole with noodles or rice.

An adequate serving of meat is 4 ounces per person. that will meet the protein requirements of most people. Americans usually eat more meat than that. If I am having guests, I am very generous with the meat component of the meal.

For us, one bird would provide 4 portions (2 breasts/wings and 2 leg quarters), but that assumes there is something else to eat (side dishes)

If there are no sides, then one bird would provide 2 portions (1 breast/wing and leg quarter per person).

Back
Top Bottom