Second time this week!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lifetime chicken lover, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    This morning for the second time in a few days I found an egg in the coop in the morning, completely eaten. I suspect one of my girls has started laying from the roost. But today there was another, very misshapen, soft-shell egg in there too. The odd egg, I suspect came from my BO, who is probably laying her first egg, but the only other chicken who shares that roost is Snuffy, my white leghorn, who has been laying quite nicely in her nesting box, and I still get an egg from her every day. So any ideas what's happening? How can I get her to stop laying on the roost?! IS it possible for her to be laying 2 eggs a day?! I let them out of the coop just after sunrise (6:30) so they aren't in the coop very long in the morning... I just don't know what to do...I'm afraid they are all going to become serial egg-eaters because of this!

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Did they just start laying? If so it could have an extremely thin shell. Mine have layed a few that ended up cracking in the next, and one I cracked basically had the shell disintegrate when I tapped it against the bowl edge. After a few weeks that went away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by