Second Winter Need help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Toshi, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Hello, it has been a while since i have posted anything at all on here, but here i go.

This is my hens second winter, now the first winter like all good little pullets they laid right through it, but now that this is their second winter they have yet to start laying after they molted. The days gotten shorter and the light is less. So i think i need to put a light in there, but i don't know what is the right amount of hours needed for light. Tips and advice are much needed. Thanks fro reading.

2. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I leave the light on til about 8 pm It gets dark here about 6:30 right now.... this seems to be enough to keep them laying. Mine just finished moulting and now they're back to regular laying. Hope this helps.

3. Toshi

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Ok, so i still need to know how many hours of light they need. I want to say 14 hours..but i am not sure.

4. duckie mama

duckie mama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    14 hours is good, start light at 5am stop at 8am start at 5pm and stop at 8pm. depends where you are. i am in east texas and this is the time that works for us. probally need to adjust for your time zone

5. Toshi

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    awesome thanks both of you :) i am looking forward to getting more eggs form my hens, i hate the store eggs lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by