Secret to Hard Boiling Duck Eggs?

My sister learned a tip last year that she swears by. Put the eggs in cold water, then put on the stove on med-high heat. After the water has reached boiling, use a metal spoon to gently stir the eggs around. This creates small cracks in the shell which allows water to separate the shell from the egg. Finish boiling, put the lid on, and cool to room temp. Then peel with ease.

Better off using duck eggs to make candys/pastries, I don't eat high carb foods (so I wouldnt know), but I here using duck eggs to make pastries is the best instead of chicken eggs

I've been hard boiling eggs the same way since Culinary School -
Put eggs in cold, salted water.
Bring to a boil.
Keep at a rolling boil for 13 min.
Remove from heat & immediately crack the shells HARD against the bottom & sides of pan.
Run under cold water for 5 min.
Soak in cold water until the white you can feel through the cracks feels cold.
No matter what kind of eggs I use this method on they peel beautifully. This method is also one of the only things that seems consistent throughout the restaurant industry. It may be the only thing I have done the same way at every restaurant, in fact.

Chef Landusky said that cracking the eggs in the warm water released the sulfur - preventing the blue ring around the yolk, and allowed hot water to get inside the egg, cooking any albumen that had not come off the shell yet, and the immediate shock of the cold water contracts the egg, leaving very little white still attached to the shell.

I agree though. I got chickens for eating eggs & ducks for eggs to bake with.

Also, I am absolutely not trying to be a know-it-all Chef. It sounds like a lot of other folks are sharing techniques that have the same end result. Just adding another one.

man duck eggs taste soooo good too, i prefer them over chicken eggs. i would be missing out if i only used them to bake with

compiling all your info, here's what worked amazingly for me. I used duck eggs, probably about 3, maybe 5 days old, so not that old. I added a little vinegar to the water when they were boiling, they boiled 7 min or so (not on purpose, just by accident). Then I put them in cold water, with some ice cubes, where they sat for a while because I left for work. My boyfriend shelled them about 2 hours later and they peeled great. I shelled another a day later for my lunch and also, clean and easy!

I would like to suggest a different method of boiling eggs. First, get the water to a full boil before adding your eggs. Some may crack and leak a little, but that's ok. When eggs are done, drain off the water and shake the pan until the eggs are thoroughly cracked. Fill the pan with cold and when eggs are coo enough to handle, you can peel them under the water with one hand. Try it, it really does work.

Back
Top Bottom