seed bead weaving

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by mamawolf544, Oct 15, 2010.

1. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Does any one know any good links or books on learning the weaves and such to make jewelry and animals?
    Thanks in advance.
    Terri

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just looked and most of my links are for bead supplies. Most of my technique information and patterns are from magazines and books. Usually, though, I just make stuff up.

Are you wanting to make 3 dimensional animals with peyote/gourd stitch? Or are you thinking about the flat weaves, with the animal pattern woven into it by using different colors of beads? Peyote/gourd stitch is good for both. There are other weaves you can use for flat weaving, but peyote is great for 3-D weaving. You can even make little bowls or cover bottles with it.

I like making animals and other figures with beads strung on wire, too. That's also kind of fun.

Edited to add that I have the Beader's Companion book, that shows some basic bead weaving stitches. I also have a lot of the magazines by Interweave Press, like Beadwork. They also publish a lot of books, plus they sell individual patterns on their web site.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  3. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
  4. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Thanks so much for the onfo.

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I would also recommend checking out some of the Japanese beading books. I know they're not written in English, but they're actually pretty easy to follow. I love the little 3D animals and figurines they make out of crystals and seed beads and such! I used to have a bunch of patterns on my old computer, but it crashed before I saved all my stuff [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by