Seeking advice on adding chicks to my flock

i8theburger

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
We have a large coop with protected run, and a bigger outdoor run that the girls have access to from dawn until dusk.
We brought home 6 chicks three years ago, and recently two have died so we have four 3 year olds left. They are all red Sussex.

We want to bring home two black red rock chicks to raise up and add to our flock.

The advice we seek is:

1. Will red Sussex accept red rocks into the flock?
2. What is the best way to introduce the chicks and when?

Our plan is to raise these 2 chicks up in our garage in a wire dog crate with a heat lamp.

Thank you!

When I added to my flock I have a crate or brooder that goes in the coop. I keep them separate but able to see each other, I moved them after they were fully feathered. When I turned them out I kept them separate till they were big enough to not be hurt by the larger chickens. That was a couple months after letting them meet. They did pick on each other for a bit but it was just pecking order squabbles.

I have a mixed flock. My barred rocks seem to lead the flock with my silver laced waynedottes next. My Rhode Island reds and black astralorps could careless about the flock ranks but my Easter eggers are defiantly at the bottom. I am not sure if it is to do with size or color because they are a bit smaller and lighter than the rest.
The babies I had are now much bigger than my first group so they don't get picked on much now. Their colors are lavender, red, gold laced and buff colored ducks.
I just kept watching them and if anyone got picked on too much I would separate them for a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom