Seeking anatomical diagrams, video, or photos of goose head & neck

Slike_O

Hatching
May 22, 2024
I have never had to directly feed a goose (as in with a syringe or putting the food in their mouth) before. I need to find accurate, clear information on how to do this. So far internet searching has turned up nothing helpful. Does anyone have resources they can share on this?

How you crop feed a goose is the same as with the duck in that video. The only difference is that was done more slowly for instruction, the faster you do the procedure the less stressful it is for your bird.

You can use Harrison’s recovery formula, but that only lasts a short time, or flock raiser crumbles to make a mash, if your bird is underweight and completely refusing to eat I suggest purina 30% game bird start for the higher protein.

In some ways this is the trickiest part.
How you make the mash is by pouring boiling water into a container with some feed, you may need to keep adding water so that it maintains a loose consistency and doesn’t get too thick.
Let it cool enough so that it’s still warm but you’re able to stick your finger into it without burning it.

Suck it up into the syringe, for an adult goose you’ll want a 60ml syringe and you want to fill it completely. Try to ensure there are as few bubbles as you can.

Squat over your goose to pin them into place with your legs and body but not sitting on them.

Apply pressure to the corners of the mouth with one hand, when the jaw loosens up open the mouth and insert the tube past the airway as far down the throat to their Right as you can get it. As it slides down you should see it as a little bulge, if you can’t see it you’ll feel it.

Once the tube is at the base of the neck hit the plunger until the mash is gone and pull the tube out.

For an adult goose depending on their condition you can feed them twice to 3 times a day if they still have some weight on them but aren’t eating “this will maintain their weight,” or if they’re severely emaciated and their keel feels like a pronounced blade jutting out from their body you’ll double it to 5 to 6 feedings in a day.

Thank you very much. The biggest concern I had was correctly identifying where the esophagus was so as to avoid the trachea. Sounds like it's essentially the same as with all the other poultry types I've dealt with. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom